TRADE MARK LIGHTNING PINT JAR, CLEAR

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

pickensbob

Reaction score
TRYING TO FIND RB # FOR TRADE MARK LIGHTNING JAR, CLEAR IN COLOR, HAS SMOOTH LIP, OLD LIGHTNING CLOSURE AND BOTTOM HAS PUTNAM AND MOLD NUMBER !3.

Attachments

• bcc0c776d8ba4104a2a0b6c7a3719c2b.jpeg
    bcc0c776d8ba4104a2a0b6c7a3719c2b.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 4651a9a618d248d7a95e15646a4fa34f.jpeg
    4651a9a618d248d7a95e15646a4fa34f.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 74

botlguy

Reaction score
I stopped using, as much as possible, the term "clear" to mean colorless but can't make headway in getting others to follow along. Blue or green or purple can be clear if it is easy to see through it. Clear is a very broad term where colorless is much narrower. Old habits are hard to break. Another is "SHAPE" as in:" What kind of shape is it in?" rather than "What is the condition of it?" Certain words describe things better than others and should be used. But then that would require educating oneself. Jim

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I agree, there are many terms that have been disputed over the years, I think clear green (or whatever) glass was used. Maybe that meant it was pottery or painted? Some people still refer to anything clear as flint! That's just weird. [:)] Even the blackest amethyst glass I've seen will pass light if viewed correctly.Don't get me started on the whole "slug plate" thing.[:D]The problem with getting old (aside from the physical aspects) is that the older terms are still used when they should to be updated and standardized Or is that re-standardized.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
I agree that some of the terms used today in bottle collecting are rather archaic. One of the best old terms that brings back a lot of old time memories is whenever I see or hear the term Grandpappy owl used to describe an Owl Drug bottle of a certain vintage and style. Some of us prefer the older terms but clear or colorless mean the same things to me. if I want to describe how see thru a bottle is, I would say you could read a newspaper thru it. and you would immediately know what I meant, wouldn't you. I get upset when a bottle is described as blown, meaning applied top, ALL BOTTLES are BLOWN, so that tells you absolutely NOTHING!! and "slug plate" just means a replaceable embossing plate inserted into or onto any bottle mold body, so several users could use the same mold body for different brands of product, nothing else , whitall tatum glass co was the granddaddy of glassmakers for doing that on their pharmacy/drugstore bottles. Glob/gloppy top or glop top is another old time term meaning applied top, but some old timers actually mean a really sloppy applied top. but it means the same, you just have to learn the slang just like in any other human activity, and bottle collecting keeps me from getting old, at least at heart.........

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Applied or tooled top! [:)] That can apply to anything not machine made really. Applied tops were tooled at some point and tool tops... well, were also tooled. Perhaps the tops were applied and then tooled or perhaps a tooled top was a flare or such. Maybe the tooling was done with the same glass after cracking off and done very well or maybe the had to add some glass. Away, in some circumstances any top could have been made on the same day and at the same factory. It's not always a sign of age.Fine, that's an complicated simplification but I know what I mean.[:D]

pickensbob

Reaction score
how bout crystal clear ??? glad we got some discussion on CLEAR. lol

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis