tree debris theory...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

David Osborn

Reaction score
I have found this theory to be true twice at one hillside dumpsite and would like further thoughts from members: In the scan I'm enclosing the artwork is of a rather steep hillside with old trash at base and some along the incline.

QUESTION ONE:In the section marked A i am finding old bottles gathered around the sides and upper small expanse where tree meets hillside. (I found a beautiful California Fig Syrup under the main offshoot root and a Foleys Kidney Pills along the side) I am now wondering if the tree must be (a) very old and therefore in the way of debris as it orig. fell, or (b) any tree of moderate age that is stopping bottles ALREADY IN THE GROUND as they make an underground shift towards the bottom. Any ideas ???

QUESTION TWO: In the section marked B, the triangular shape I have drawn (widening itself in thickness as it nears the flat expanse at bottom of hill) Would you think the bottle debris would widen as the hill descends ? I try to imagine wagonloads of trash tossed over the side and the shape this pile would make in the years before it is swallowed up and encased by dirt. In a perfect world the debris thickness would be small at top of hill, widen as it begins to gather in clumps and then then be one glorious thick pile under the ground at base. (tho I have not yet explored that part of the theory.) Has this turned out to be true for anyone ??? I'd appreciate discussion from several members on this. -D

Mk27706.jpg

Attachments

• Mk27706.jpg
    Mk27706.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 127

IRISH

Reaction score
Answer to Question one is probably a bit of both in most cases.

As for question two I have dug steep banks that have had most of the goodies on the bottom bit with only a few bottles on the slope, I've also dug them and found bottles on the slope and none at all on the bottom of the bank, there is a gully on our land here like that I can't work out how not one bottle got to the bottom of it but I found a lot on the slope (I've been probing that gully for almost ten years now, there's got to be one there somewere [8|] ).
The tip in my gully starts small and spreads out as it gets near the bottom (before stopping altogether [:mad:] ).

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis