Tricks to digging below the water level?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MountainMan304

Reaction score
So, I found a turn of the century dump and I pulled out a straight sided coke where the wall of the dump drops a little below the level of the creek bed. In other words, I pulled it essentially out of the dirt underneath the water. The dump is right on the water and is even below the creek. Any tips on how to dig in these kinds of dumps? Most often the water just refills the hole with mud. It's also a shame, since the freezing and thawing likely caused a lot of these bottles to break. As for the part that is on dry land, I'm not sure if water seeping in and flooding the dig hole would be a problem. Anyone know? Thanks in advance!

zsmith333

Photographer, bottle hunter, dad.
Reaction score
So, I found a turn of the century dump and I pulled out a straight sided coke where the wall of the dump drops a little below the level of the creek bed. In other words, I pulled it essentially out of the dirt underneath the water. The dump is right on the water and is even below the creek. Any tips on how to dig in these kinds of dumps? Most often the water just refills the hole with mud. It's also a shame, since the freezing and thawing likely caused a lot of these bottles to break. As for the part that is on dry land, I'm not sure if water seeping in and flooding the dig hole would be a problem. Anyone know? Thanks in advance!

Dig some test holes at various distances on land. As far as under water, no clue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hemihampton

Reaction score
Sounds exactly like a Dump I've Dug before, Mines on a fast flowing River so the Water does not seem to freeze much as it's always moving but have not noticed alot of broken Bottles due to Freezing, Plus I don't go there in the Winter anyways. But my Hole always fills with mud which is a real Bummer. LEON.
Dumpinwater3.JPG

MountainMan304

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'll definitely dig a few test holes. glad to see that your dump is producing and accessible below water level. Mine is moving as well, but it's just a small stream so it's more likely to freeze. Luckily it seems like the frozen leaf cover keeps the dirt insulated a bit.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Yes, the leaves being darker actually make heat when the sun hits them too. ...This thread is helpful. We've all been wet. Thanks guys.
Leon, did that Hemmingray come out intact?

Fenndango

Reaction score
Put on a mask and snorkel. Bottles will sit on the river bottom even in fast flowing water.

Also the older stuff was dumped first and closest to the riverbanks and lots of the time this older layer has eroded into the river long ago.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
..."Where is hemihampton and D.C. getting down? --FUNKE town!" :cool: Nice find Leon. Power to the L named.:)

MountainMan304

Reaction score
Put on a mask and snorkel. Bottles will sit on the river bottom even in fast flowing water.

Also the older stuff was dumped first and closest to the riverbanks and lots of the time this older layer has eroded into the river long ago.
Yep, that’s what we’re finding. I believe that this creek is newer, though, as it’s pretty shallow and it turns out the dump continues on the other side of it. It really is a stream I suppose (probably about 5 feet wide, 9 inches deep at its deepest). But the strange thing is that I’m not sure if where the water source is. It’s constant and not smelly, so no sewage or anything.

Also, what’s your or anyone’s opinion on throwing down some plywood so that we don’t get stuck ankle deep in freezing mud and water? We could throw it off the top of the ravine, but it’s already a hike out of there (in West Virginia you gotta literally scale mountains) and I can’t imagine taking a slab of plywood back out.

edit: found some great bottles so far! I’ll be sure to post them before I head back up to college for my last semester.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu