Tried a new paint on beer bottles no problem removing it, but

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

willong

Reaction score
It doesn't stick. The bottom 3 with new paint. The TOPAZ one might display better on the bottom. I pay 5 $a bottle to a young lady to paint, do you think that is fair.
If the young lady is satisfied and happy to get the work, then it is fair, especially if she enjoys the work too.

I'd hesitate to say with certainty today, given how so much has changed in fifty years, but I had good results with Testor's Model Painting Enamel paints in the early 1970's. By good results, I'm referring to the paint adhering and enduring, not my shaky brush work. Glass is so resistant to most any chemical other than Hydrofluoric acid that I would not hesitate to even apply paint stripper for future removal, should I want to revert to just the unenhanced glass embossing.

Highlighting the letters with paint definitely makes the embossing easier to read on a display or in a photograph. It was common in some early bottle guidebooks for that very reason I suspect. Personally, I actually prefer to leave glass unpainted today; but it is a matter of taste and totally and fairly easily reversible, unlike tattoos and circumcision.

Mailman1960

Reaction score
If the young lady is satisfied and happy to get the work, then it is fair, especially if she enjoys the work too.

I'd hesitate to say with certainty today, given how so much has changed in fifty years, but I had good results with Testor's Model Painting Enamel paints in the early 1970's. By good results, I'm referring to the paint adhering and enduring, not my shaky brush work. Glass is so resistant to most any chemical other than Hydrofluoric acid that I would not hesitate to even apply paint stripper for future removal, should I want to revert to just the unenhanced glass embossing.

Highlighting the letters with paint definitely makes the embossing easier to read on a display or in a photograph. It was common in some early bottle guidebooks for that very reason I suspect. Personally, I actually prefer to leave glass unpainted today; but it is a matter of taste and totally and fairly easily reversible, unlike tattoos and circumcision.
This paint I'm using will wear off if it rubs on anything. It's just for display and helping a friends daughter for some ⛽ money.

willong

Reaction score
It doesn't stick.
I did a quick search. Testors is still in business and sells 1/4 oz. bottles of enamel paint. I have no idea as to formulation compared to the product fifty years ago; but you might want to try it out and see how well it adheres and wears for your purpose. Here's a link: https://www.testors.com/product-catalog/testors-brands/model-master/auto-enamel-paint/bottles

Quite a selection available on Amazon, though it's definitely not 25 cents a bottle anymore!

Mailman1960

Reaction score
I guess you didn't read or understand my message.
I did read your response if you were the one who said you didn't understand why people paint the bottles. Sometimes using this format things are misinterpreted (that's a lot of letters) myself I prefer person to person, but this way your question and answer 's reach a larger group. I respect everyone 's opinion

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi