TRUE CEPHALICK SNUFF BY THE KINGS PATENT.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Here's another pic from "The Manhatten Well Diggers" site...

5A2E53E625CD410693D6C20398E046D5.gif

Attachments

• 5A2E53E625CD410693D6C20398E046D5.gif
    5A2E53E625CD410693D6C20398E046D5.gif
    82.1 KB · Views: 152

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Yes, certainly an American example, but I've never seen a clear glass before, usually aqua. The English ones are usually ultra, ultra crude and quite dark, some even mid green. Jerry has some excellent examples of these so I'll leave it to him to post those. I do however have a contents example just for a bit of fun, if anyone wants to try some real early 19th C cephalic snuff? It is an American version...
P1060612.jpg

...hooray, got th eimage thing working again!
egc

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Joe great information thank you,Rory dittos,Jerry could you post your True Cephalick snuff bottles from your collection on here.I would like to see the early British versions. Thanks Steve

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Jerry seems to be away from here, so I'll put this pic up. I think it might be his anyway, sorry Jerry, just keeping the flow going, but here are some deffo English Cephalic snuffs. they are lovely and crude.....
cephalic.jpg

egc www.earlyglass.com

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
...back to serious, you will see how the earlier examples have a taper. Many are so heavily pontilled they do not stand, and some are dark enough to be called green. The very nice example on the right has that thin walled blown into the embossing aspect which is delightful. Interesting how similar though the latest example on the right is similar to American made...unless perhaps????
C'mon Jerry...
egc www.earlyglass.com

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
Also only just found this thread. Asleep at the wheel.

Those three snuffs are John Aults. I only have one, an English one with lip damage, almost identical to the centre one of the trio. Several of that type, including mine, turned up in the Sittingbourne sea wall dump in Kent, England, in the 1970s - 80s. I dont have any more info about the medicine than is already posted in this thread as I haven't researched it yet.

THere are some very nice US versions of the bottle around though, including some very heavily embossed. Almost as though the heavy embossing had been deliberately copied as part of the style or brand of the bottle.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi