Trying to identify the name of this flask and what the is embossing is on both sides

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

LC

Reaction score
Well , I am not sure if I accidentally posted before I was ready or not . So here we go again .I recently picked up this flask and for the likes of me I can nor figure out what the embossing is supposed to be . The embossing is the same on both sides only located a little different from one side to another . Stands roughly 7 inches tall . Not sure what kind of pontil it has on its bottom . The Misses said she thought it was a face , ears being on the sides , they do not look like ears to me though . I tried to get some good pictures of it but for the likes of me this is the best I could come up with . Anyone know anything about this flask ?

Attachments

• FLASK  10.jpg
    FLASK 10.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 292
  • FLASK 5.jpg
    FLASK 5.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 296
  • FLASK 6.jpg
    FLASK 6.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 289
  • FLASK 7.jpg
    FLASK 7.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 287
  • FLASK  11.jpg
    FLASK 11.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 278
  • WHISKEY FLASK OPEN PONTIL 1.jpg
    WHISKEY FLASK OPEN PONTIL 1.jpg
    570.9 KB · Views: 259
  • WHISKEY FLASK OPEN PONTIL 2.jpg
    WHISKEY FLASK OPEN PONTIL 2.jpg
    616 KB · Views: 292
  • WHISKEY FLASK OPEN PONTIL 3.jpg
    WHISKEY FLASK OPEN PONTIL 3.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 294
  • WHISKEY FLASK OPEN PONTIL 4.jpg
    WHISKEY FLASK OPEN PONTIL 4.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 283
  • flask 1.jpg
    flask 1.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 282

slugplate

Reaction score
The glass is in excellent condition, too good actually. Also, the embossing is not well defined and the lip looks intentionally misshapen. IMHO, it's a repro demijohn.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I wonder if the image is supposed to be a crown, like some sort of bottle given out or sold in a European coronation ceremony.
I don't think it any manner of reproduction. I just don't think it terribly old or American.

sandchip

Reaction score
To be a reproduction, there must be an older example to reproduce, my point being that I'm not aware of this particular design in earlier bottles. Very difficult to tell a whole lot from the pictures as to age, but it might be some type of adaptation of some of the early pattern molded flasks. It would be mighty small at 7 inches to be a demijohn, not to mention that I've never seen a pattern molded one before.

LC

Reaction score
Sorry I could not get a better picture of this bottle . On the bottom of the bottle is a light ring of lightly jagged glass . It is hard to see but it will darn sure catch your attention if you run your finger over it , found that out the hard way . Its like a partial pontil , like possibly the pontil rod did not have a lot of glass on it and when snapped off only left a partial pontil if that makes any sense . I tried to get another picture of it where it can be seen . Where the arrows are pointing are jagged glass , like what I call a partial pontil .As for the remark of the bottle being clear, I have collected bottles for over forty years . I have seen pontiled medicines some being clear , can't say that for a flask though . If this is a repo it sure is a dandy one in my speculation . It has never been in the ground and is as can be seen super clean . For me it is a keeper whether it is a repop or not . Thanks for all the comments as I was wanting to see what some of you Guys and Gals may have thought about it .

Attachments

• 100_0075.JPG
    100_0075.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 245
  • pontil.jpg
    pontil.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 256

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
If this is a repo it sure is a dandy one in my speculation . It has never been in the ground and is as can be seen super clean . For me it is a keeper whether it is a repop or not .

I still think it European in origin which would explain the pontil if it is one. I'm afraid I can't see the image well. As you're probably aware, even the English glass makers continued traditional manufacturing techniques into the 20th century. If, say, Hungarian or Russian or sone such, who knows how long they continued using punty rods.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora