Tumbling an iron pontil

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

opmustard

Reaction score
I want to tumble a soda with intact iron on the pontil.
My question is I want to first run 1200 grit, then polish the bottle.
Can you successfully run the 1200 cutting grit with out removing the iron?
How?
Thank you,
opmustard

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I want to tumble a soda with intact iron on the pontil.
My question is I want to first run 1200 grit, then polish the bottle.
Can you successfully run the 1200 cutting grit with out removing the iron?
How?
Thank you,
opmustard
If you have a system that clamps the bottle centering it in the tube, you can put a rubber ball. Some use duct tape for extra protection. I like using clear siliconed and a tin can lid cut to fit the bottom. That worked really well.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Dewfus

"Saving The Past So It Has A Future"
Reaction score
I bought a duel rock tumbler now I have to figure out how to make a tube

opmustard

Reaction score
If you have a system that clamps the bottle centering it in the tube, you can put a rubber ball. Some use duct tape for extra protection. I like using clear siliconed and a tin can lid cut to fit the bottom. That worked really well.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
I have used a rubber ball with some success.
However, just using the rubber ball doesn't always work. I like your idea of the clear silcone. How do you remove the silcone when your done with tumbling. I have had problems in the past with losing the iron using other methods. Do you use a rubber ball with the silcone or ?
What type of silcone do you use. How much do you apply to the pontil? How long do you tumble your bottle after applying the silcone?
I have a JarDoctor system with the stopples and canisters. I bought this new system about 10 years ago and have never used it. I had a system that I had made (based on the same principle as JarDoctor's) It worked very well, but shipping from Hawai'i was too hard, gave it to a friend.
What type of a tumbling system do you have?
As always, thanks,
opmustard

opmustard

Reaction score
I bought a duel rock tumbler now I have to figure out how to make a tube
I bought sch 80 PVC pipe(every size of pipe from 3" to 10") and cut each piece to its correct size as needed according to the bottle size and to fit my tumbling machine.
Bought my stopples (to hold the bottle in place) from JarDoctor.
Bought # 12 or # 14 scrap copper or just found copper wire and cut it to size, really hard on the hands.
All my cutting grits and polish was again bought from JarDoctor.
Happy tumbling (really)
opmustard

hemihampton

Reaction score
I'd recommend 1500 grit silicone carbide myself.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I have used a rubber ball with some success.
However, just using the rubber ball doesn't always work. I like your idea of the clear silcone. How do you remove the silcone when your done with tumbling. I have had problems in the past with losing the iron using other methods. Do you use a rubber ball with the silcone or ?
What type of silcone do you use. How much do you apply to the pontil? How long do you tumble your bottle after applying the silcone?
I have a JarDoctor system with the stopples and canisters. I bought this new system about 10 years ago and have never used it. I had a system that I had made (based on the same principle as JarDoctor's) It worked very well, but shipping from Hawai'i was too hard, gave it to a friend.
What type of a tumbling system do you have?
As always, thanks,
opmustard
I cut a tin can lid and silicone in place. Do not get the silicone on the pontil only the base edge. Roughen up the can with sandpaper. I use a 12 inch quick clap to hold until dry. The silicone comes off easily enough. I pick and pull most off with my finger nails. A razor blade or scouring pad should work.I have a home made tumbler. A Frankensteined harbor freight. I can't do big tall bottles. Only up to 8" tall the tube is only 4" so I am limited. I never thought about tumbling seriously. I would just bite the bullet and get a more professional unit. I just don't tumble that much.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

This picture is just to show you how I do it. This is a bottle I used just for example.

Attachments

• 16147666540148941878770490773921.jpg
    16147666540148941878770490773921.jpg
    626.2 KB · Views: 177

opmustard

Reaction score
I cut a tin can lid and silicone in place. Do not get the silicone on the pontil only the base edge. Roughen up the can with sandpaper. I use a 12 inch quick clap to hold until dry. The silicone comes off easily enough. I pick and pull most off with my finger nails. A razor blade or scouring pad should work.I have a home made tumbler. A Frankensteined harbor freight. I can't do big tall bottles. Only up to 8" tall the tube is only 4" so I am limited. I never thought about tumbling seriously. I would just bite the bullet and get a more professional unit. I just don't tumble that much.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

This picture is just to show you how I do it. This is a bottle I used just for example.
Looks like it would work, I'll try it.
Thanks for the detailed information.
If you ever want build yourself a larger tumbling machine, let me know.
I've build over 10 machines.
opmustard

opmustard

Reaction score
I'd recommend 1500 grit silicone carbide myself.
I agree 1,500 grit is a good safe grit for cutting. I will use 1,200 or 1,000 grit on inside of a bottle to speed the cutting process and sometimes quickly on the outside (rarely though. I usually use duct tape to protect the embossing or any bubbles.)
opmustard

brent little

Reaction score
Been tumbling bottles for a long time. I usually tape the pontil and thats it. DONT overthink it. Pontils are very tough. I did one and forgot to cover it and nothing happened it looked fine.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis