Tumbling an iron pontil

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Your welcome. if you ever have anymore questions, please just ask.
The largest cathedral pickle was 13 inches tall, but somewhat narrow. I used a 10 inch pvc sch 80 homemade canister, everything else came Wayne Lowery (accept the copper.).
Opmustard
10 inch pvc! That's huge. I do 4 inch. Lol!
I gotta get up to speed.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

opmustard

Reaction score
10 inch pvc! That's huge. I do 4 inch. Lol!
I gotta get up to speed.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
Only if you are going to tumble enough bottles that are big enough to warrant the cost.
I know that the sch 80 10" pvc pipe isn't cheap. Not sure about the cost of all the other stuff (stopples, polish, cutting grits, etc.)
Tumbled about 25 or so cathedrals for friends and my own add another 15. That made it worth it. When I realized that I wasn't going to be using it, sold it and broke even on my cost.
Hawai'i has a lot of hutches, crown tops, small meds, etc. 3' to 6" were my main size canisters. Sometimes I used my 8" canisters. Even used my 6' canisters on Hawai'ian whiskeys.
On the mainland, I tumbled only older sodas and mineral waters, 6" canisters was the size I used and still use.
Do you use cutting grits? How do you handle bubbles and the dreaded postones?
opmustard

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Only if you are going to tumble enough bottles that are big enough to warrant the cost.
I know that the sch 80 10" pvc pipe isn't cheap. Not sure about the cost of all the other stuff (stopples, polish, cutting grits, etc.)
Tumbled about 25 or so cathedrals for friends and my own add another 15. That made it worth it. When I realized that I wasn't going to be using it, sold it and broke even on my cost.
Hawai'i has a lot of hutches, crown tops, small meds, etc. 3' to 6" were my main size canisters. Sometimes I used my 8" canisters. Even used my 6' canisters on Hawai'ian whiskeys.
On the mainland, I tumbled only older sodas and mineral waters, 6" canisters was the size I used and still use.
Do you use cutting grits? How do you handle bubbles and the dreaded postones?
opmustard
I never worry about the cost. I have a dozen friends that are plumbers. I'm sure they have a piece i can take. I thought about bubbles. That's scary to open a bubble that isn't open yet. I have not tumbled anything that did than. I did have a bubble open on the inside. It got silt into the opening and I couldn't wash it out all the way. No biggie. I always thought if I was going to tumble a bottle with a bubble close to the surface i could use CA mix with stone dust. It can be removed with acetone or heavy duty paint stripper. Do you ever have problems with the silt of the tumbling getting into spots you can't get out? Like around an applied lip. I am a work in progress. You obviously are more experienced. I am a fast learner. Thanks again.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

opmustard

Reaction score
I never worry about the cost. I have a dozen friends that are plumbers. I'm sure they have a piece i can take. I thought about bubbles. That's scary to open a bubble that isn't open yet. I have not tumbled anything that did than. I did have a bubble open on the inside. It got silt into the opening and I couldn't wash it out all the way. No biggie. I always thought if I was going to tumble a bottle with a bubble close to the surface i could use CA mix with stone dust. It can be removed with acetone or heavy duty paint stripper. Do you ever have problems with the silt of the tumbling getting into spots you can't get out? Like around an applied lip. I am a work in progress. You obviously are more experienced. I am a fast learner. Thanks again.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
Your plummer friends are saving you a lot of $.
I hate the grit that gets into those impossible, uncleanable areas. When I can, apply some resin in those areas and avoid the messes (I surfed my whole life, so plenty of free resin.)
Hate it when a copper piece gets stuck in the bottle, o/ps can be a problem area.
Again, plenty of resin, so I used (not always) to help cover a bubble or worse a potstone.
opmustard

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Your plummer friends are saving you a lot of $.
I hate the grit that gets into those impossible, uncleanable areas. When I can, apply some resin in those areas and avoid the messes (I surfed my whole life, so plenty of free resin.)
Hate it when a copper piece gets stuck in the bottle, o/ps can be a problem area.
Again, plenty of resin, so I used (not always) to help cover a bubble or worse a potstone.
opmustard
Windshield repair kit. Works great. You can touch up a small spot that didn't clean up so well.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

hemihampton

Reaction score
When I'm done tumbling the blackish residue can end up in small pitts ect., ect.,. To clean that out I then dip bottle into plastic tub of Muaratic Acid that is highly diluted with about 75%-90% Water. Let it sit a minute or 2, Shake it around & then rinse out. Comes out Clean with no more Blackish or any other Residue. You might have to use a bottle brush in neck or bottle to help you out but I usually dont need to unless a heavy build up in neck area. Try it, You'll like it. LEON.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
When I'm done tumbling the blackish residue can end up in small pitts ect., ect.,. To clean that out I then dip bottle into plastic tub of Muaratic Acid that is highly diluted with about 75%-90% Water. Let it sit a minute or 2, Shake it around & then rinse out. Comes out Clean with no more Blackish or any other Residue. You might have to use a bottle brush in neck or bottle to help you out but I usually dont need to unless a heavy build up in neck area. Try it, You'll like it. LEON.
I use the same method with muriatic acid. I always neutralize with a little baking soda. It leaves a white haze in hard to reach spots. This i rinse out with vinegar. I hate the really tight spots around the lip. No way for the tumbling grit to get into these spots. There is always haze left. Mineral oil to the rescue. Lol!
ROBBYBOBBY64.

hemihampton

Reaction score
If you don't fill the bottle with enough copper (or outside)you can run into a problem with the neck not getting clean enough. just my opinion. others may vary. Plus I almost always do both inside & outside at the same time. LEON.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
If you don't fill the bottle with enough copper (or outside)you can run into a problem with the neck not getting clean enough. just my opinion. others may vary. Plus I almost always do both inside & outside at the same time. LEON.
I never did both sides at the same time before. I do the inside and then the outside. I always worry if done simultaneously one would be finished before the other and cause excessive wear unnecessary. My stuff is usually worse on the inside. I also don't have the super system some have. My bottles inside the neck aren't done as well as the rest of the inside. I think the smaller diameter in the neck area doesn't tumble as well. I used to be totally against using a tumbler but I have since reconsidered. You save so much time doing it all at once. I would try it first on a common one til I get the hang of it. I have plenty of volunteers.
I just need a better and bigger tumbler. Thanks for your expertise buddy.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora