Tumbling an iron pontil

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

opmustard

Reaction score
Been tumbling bottles for a long time. I usually tape the pontil and thats it. DONT overthink it. Pontils are very tough. I did one and forgot to cover it and nothing happened it looked fine.
What type of tape do your use? Where do you put the tape on the bottle (on the pontil directly, just on the bottom of bottle, not touching the iron, etc?
I used to tumble my bottles, my friends, and even other collectors whom I didn't even know. Had a really bad seizure and lost most of memory about 10 years ago. I do remember tumbling a pontiled Fields, just was running a cutting grit on the inside, taped the lip so no grit would get out to the outside of the bottle. I lost half of the iron on the bottle, no cutting grit came out of the inside. I have quite a few bottles that need tumbling from before I had my seizure.
Thanks for your post and would appreciate any tips on tumbling.
opmustard

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Looks like it would work, I'll try it.
Thanks for the detailed information.
If you ever want build yourself a larger tumbling machine, let me know.
I've build over 10 machines.
opmustard
Where did you source the motors?
ROBBYBOBBY64.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Where did you source the motors? I bought a bunch of the bearings, bushings and rods to make one. I went with 3/4 inch. Never got as far as to get a motor. Still have to make the frame. What did you use for your cylinders? I was thinking just get the jar doctor ones. Thanks for any information you can provide.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

opmustard

Reaction score
Where did you source the motors?
ROBBYBOBBY64.
I bought most of my motors from a company named Harbor Freight with a reverse setting.
I did buy one from a small company in Greenville, NC when I lived there. They added a reverse to the motor.
Don't sell youreslf on HP (I wouldn't go under 1/2 HP.) I used 1 HP on all the machines that I build for friends. The reason is that it can give the you option of adding more rollers thus more canisters can be used at once.
As far as canisters. I would go to your irrigation store and buy sch 80 round pvc pipe, you save a lot of money and you can custom cut the canisters to fit your tumbling needs. If you want it in clear, they probably don't carry it.
Stopples I would buy from Jar Doctor and the all the polishes & cutting grits.
What type of caulking do you use for the pontil protector??????????????????????????
opmustard
p.s. I am not receiving all your emails.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I bought most of my motors from a company named Harbor Freight with a reverse setting.
I did buy one from a small company in Greenville, NC when I lived there. They added a reverse to the motor.
Don't sell youreslf on HP (I wouldn't go under 1/2 HP.) I used 1 HP on all the machines that I build for friends. The reason is that it can give the you option of adding more rollers thus more canisters can be used at once.
As far as canisters. I would go to your irrigation store and buy sch 80 round pvc pipe, you save a lot of money and you can custom cut the canisters to fit your tumbling needs. If you want it in clear, they probably don't carry it.
Stopples I would buy from Jar Doctor and the all the polishes & cutting grits.
What type of caulking do you use for the pontil protector??????????????????????????
opmustard
p.s. I am not receiving all your emails.
Clear silicone around the edge of the lid.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

brent little

Reaction score
Tape the pontil over with ,usually duct tape works. I use 3/4 teaspoon on the inside and 11/2 on the outside. I bought my machine from Jar Doctor and its been running perfect for 5 years. He is without a doubt the best to deal with. The motor runs at one revolution per second so if you do the math you are 3600 per hour and 86400 per day. I usually tumble early squats so its around three days or 259200 revolutions per bottle. You can switch the tube from end to end for even polishing. I get excellent results with early bottles.Its a learning curve for sure,newer stuff like flint glass I have found is much harder to get good results. I dont collect crown tops so my experience is really with old green glass in the 1850-80 range. Hope this helps ,B

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Please email me when you make your new tumbler.
Please send pictures.
opmustard
I have had the parts for 3 years now so it isn't a rush. When I do I will definitely show it off. I worked in a machine shop a couple of years making huge laminating machines not much difference than a tumble but they were the size of a large van. We made the biggest one they ever made when I was there. They usually ship them out by truck. This one was way too heavy to life even for a flatbed tow truck. Just lifted the from end of the truck over and over again. They finally gave up. My day was done so I left. I still don't know how they got that machine shipped. I should be alright. Thanks for all your help. I was worried about using a harbor freight motor. I burned out every tool motor I get from them. I bought a grinder from them. I left my Bosch on another job. Brand new I cut through a tile floor to do a rip out. It sizzles and smoked up after making a 15 foot long cut. My Bosch grinder has been with me now going on 10 years and is a beast. This is just a tumbler so maybe the motor will last. I am good but hard on my tools. I wonder if a laminating machine can be turned in to a tumbler. Basically the same thing. I put a link to smaller laminating machines.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Last edited:

brent little

Reaction score
The motor on this tumbler justs looks to me to be a furnace blower motor. He has slowed down the revolutions with a pully. its very reliable and it has great results. Bottle tumbling is by no means an exact science I still have bottles that do not come out the way i would like them every time. Every bottle has its own history and stain issues.That machine you are building is pretty much the same basic set-up. I think I paid something like 850.00,all in shipped to my door. Jar Doctor is a very nice guy to deal with and very straight up. NO BS.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Tape the pontil over with ,usually duct tape works. I use 3/4 teaspoon on the inside and 11/2 on the outside. I bought my machine from Jar Doctor and its been running perfect for 5 years. He is without a doubt the best to deal with. The motor runs at one revolution per second so if you do the math you are 3600 per hour and 86400 per day. I usually tumble early squats so its around three days or 259200 revolutions per bottle. You can switch the tube from end to end for even polishing. I get excellent results with early bottles.Its a learning curve for sure,newer stuff like flint glass I have found is much harder to get good results. I dont collect crown tops so my experience is really with old green glass in the 1850-80 range. Hope this helps ,B
I bought a bunch of the things I needed to make a tumbler as I mentioned above. I also bought this heavy duty speed control. God knows if it will work. What i do know is it won't with brushless or soft/slow start motors. Jar doctor has always been a possibility. I just would like to build my own if I can ever get around to it. Thanks for the jar doctor review. I have heard only good things about the products and service. Second to none. Not that there is any competition. Top notch company and product.
ROBBYBOBBY64

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94