Tumbling an iron pontil

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

opmustard

Reaction score
Tape the pontil over with ,usually duct tape works. I use 3/4 teaspoon on the inside and 11/2 on the outside. I bought my machine from Jar Doctor and its been running perfect for 5 years. He is without a doubt the best to deal with. The motor runs at one revolution per second so if you do the math you are 3600 per hour and 86400 per day. I usually tumble early squats so its around three days or 259200 revolutions per bottle. You can switch the tube from end to end for even polishing. I get excellent results with early bottles.Its a learning curve for sure,newer stuff like flint glass I have found is much harder to get good results. I dont collect crown tops so my experience is really with old green glass in the 1850-80 range. Hope this helps ,B
I have owned a new tumbler from the Jar Doctor for the last 10 years, but I still haven't used it (too many surgeries.) I am ordering the pulley belts and the manuel now.
I usually go with the slower RPMS, even with my sodas. I once tumbled a pontiled A.P. Smith, it took 6 weeks. I taped the embossing with duct tape until the end when I did the final polishing tumble. Yeah, I had dug 8 Charles Clarks and one A.P. SMITH . One yellow /amber Charles Clark broke while tumbling (bummer!)
I am lazy, so I have a reverse on my motor.
Tumble mostly 1840 -70 bottles. I have tumbled flint glass and they were a little harder. Never tumbled anything past 1870-80.
I do using different cutting grits to hasten the process, but very carefully.
Your being able to do the math in regards to revolutions is smart and is dizzing (for me.)
I have about 15 mustards that I am going to start tumbling for practicing until I feel confident about doing it again.
Here is the picture of the 6 week tumbled light cobalt A.P. SMITH.
Thanks for the email, it was helpful.
opmustard

Attachments

• IMG_4364[1].JPG
    IMG_4364[1].JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 145

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I have owned a new tumbler from the Jar Doctor for the last 10 years, but I still haven't used it (too many surgeries.) I am ordering the pulley belts and the manuel now.
I usually go with the slower RPMS, even with my sodas. I once tumbled a pontiled A.P. Smith, it took 6 weeks. I taped the embossing with duct tape until the end when I did the final polishing tumble. Yeah, I had dug 8 Charles Clarks and one A.P. SMITH . One yellow /amber Charles Clark broke while tumbling (bummer!)
Tumble mostly 1840 -70 bottles. I have tumbled flint glass and they were a little harder. Never tumbled anything past 1870-80.
Your being able to do the math in regards to revolutions is smart and is dizzing (for me.)
I have about 15 mustards that I am going to start tumbling for practicing until I feel confident about doing it again.
opmustard
The jar doctor tumbler speed controlled with a step pulley? I put a link to one with a picture
ROBBYBOBBY64.

brent little

Reaction score
I thought about building also BUT really dont have the expertise to pull it off. You probably have the skill level needed. Just a carpenter, lol

brent little

Reaction score
opmustard
Glad to hear it was helpfull. I have had pitiful luck tumbling flint glass. It is way harder then the early stuff. You and I are about the same timeline as far as collecting.I also have a tough go doing quarts. had some success but its a trial.

brent little

Reaction score

brent little

Reaction score
I want to tumble a soda with intact iron on the pontil.
My question is I want to first run 1200 grit, then polish the bottle.
Can you successfully run the 1200 cutting grit with out removing the iron?
How?
Thank you,
opmustard
I have BUT covering it would be safe. I used a sticker I think it was a three address stickers. Worked great.

opmustard

Reaction score
I am not sure about the Jar Doctors system yet. I am emailing him now to receive my manuel and my pulleys.
Motor RPMS have a part in the speed, size and maybe weight of your canister as well. I think from personal experience that pulley size and belt length have the greatest impact on the speed performance.
I would sent up my canisters and the pulleys and belt length to either speed up or slow down the RPMS.
Used about six different roller tables plus my regular table as needed for whatever I was tumbling. Tumbled large cathedral pickles (never anything larger) to paper thin O/P meds. Tumbled a lot for friends and I used to sell a lot of bottles that sold for a higher price tumbled.
Hope this helps, its really not that hard once you get a basic tumbler going the way you want it. Seen so many different tumbling set ups and they all worked, I was amazed.
opmustard

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I am not sure about the Jar Doctors system yet. I am emailing him now to receive my manuel and my pulleys.
Motor RPMS have a part in the speed, size and maybe weight of your canister as well. I think from personal experience that pulley size and belt length have the greatest impact on the speed performance.
I would sent up my canisters and the pulleys and belt length to either speed up or slow down the RPMS.
Used about six different roller tables plus my regular table as needed for whatever I was tumbling. Tumbled large cathedral pickles (never anything larger) to paper thin O/P meds. Tumbled a lot for friends and I used to sell a lot of bottles that sold for a higher price tumbled.
Hope this helps, its really not that hard once you get a basic tumbler going the way you want it. Seen so many different tumbling set ups and they all worked, I was amazed.
opmustard
Thanks for your expertise opmustard. The Biggest pickle jar you tumbled was how big? Thanks for your time buddy.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Glad to hear it was helpfull. I have had pitiful luck tumbling flint glass. It is way harder then the early stuff. You and I are about the same timeline as far as collecting.I also have a tough go doing quarts. had some success but its a trial.
Flint glass is so hard. Finer grit for a longer time i think might help. I polish absolute black granite it is the hardest stone to polish I run into. You have to use a fine grit.. too coarse and all it does is cause more pitting. Just my experience. Maybe a couple of those rubber tile spacers tossed in might help keep the shock down. Have you ever seen anyone or have you used them before.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

opmustard

Reaction score
Thanks for your expertise opmustard. The Biggest pickle jar you tumbled was how big? Thanks for your time buddy.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
Your welcome. if you ever have anymore questions, please just ask.
The largest cathedral pickle was 13 inches tall, but somewhat narrow. I used a 10 inch pvc sch 80 homemade canister, everything else came Wayne Lowery (accept the copper.).
Opmustard

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis