Tumbling bottle with crack

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
Re: RE: Tumbling bottle with crack

I've tumbled many bottles with cracks, some severe, some not so much. I'm happy to say that all were successfully cleaned with no further damage to the effected area. There's a lot of variables to consider before attempting tumbling. [ol][*]Are you prepared to accept the risk no matter the outcome?[*]Is the bottle tumble worthy? (Are there other factors that would add additional or excessive risk to the bottle?)[*]Is there a chip, gouge, or other damage associated with the crack? [*]Is the crack completely through the glass on both inside and out, just one side, or not at all?[*]What result are you looking for in the end? [/ol]The answers should be the guide to determine what method to use for tumbling. There's a couple to choose from. Without having seen the bottle, it's a little hard to be specific. So, I took some time to write up some general cleaning instructions for a case such as this. They're a little lengthy because of the detail and formatting. If anyone would like a copy, I'll be glad to send them, or if you'd like I can always post them here. Happy tumbling, Cindy

hemihampton

Reaction score

Thanks Cindy & everybody else, Much Appreciated. LEON.

hemihampton

Reaction score

Heres the bottle in Question. I aquired for the collection. Being a rare espensive bottle I was afraid to risk a tumble. SO, I cleaned manually with my little rubbing wheel & compound. Clean up a littlle but I was totally dissatisfied with results compared to a tumble. SO, Like playing Russian Roulette I gave it a tumble, crack & all & crossed my fingers. Here's before it went in, was extremely rough condition. LEON.

Attachments

• 8f9da5dca76c4ff1a4d5270e4f43f750.jpg
    8f9da5dca76c4ff1a4d5270e4f43f750.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 103

hemihampton

Reaction score

Here's after week in tumbler & after 3 different polish's. Did not disentergrate into little peices but crack in neck appears to be a little longer possibly & rougher inside neck. It did end up cleaning up good. Still has a little case wear at very bottom. Whatcha think? LEON.

Attachments

• 3321d3fac5fc4c1bb165015661e9711a.jpg
    3321d3fac5fc4c1bb165015661e9711a.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 98

acls

Reaction score

Most people use various oxides for tumbling. I would think crack would not be very cost effective or do as good of a job. Not to mention the legality of it all.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado