tumbling question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

judu

Reaction score
got a tumbler and still in the learning process....some of the bottles are coming out great, just cloudy..like a milky cloudiness on the glass.or a fog......do i need to run the bottle again with a polish?.....

chosi

Reaction score
Probably yes.

When I use 1200 Grit, which is a fairly coarse cutter, the bottle comes out resembling a frosty mug just out of the freezer. To remove the "frostiness" I tumble a 2nd time with Aluminum Oxide for at least 2 - 4 days. 2 days is usually enough, but if you take it out after 2 days and it's still frosty looking, you may end up tumbling it a 3rd time and that's a lot of work. On the other hand, if you tumble it too long, it tends to get very "mirror-like", and some people don't like that effect.

When I use 1500 Grit (a less coarse cutter), I find that if I just let it go for 3 or 4 days, I don't need a 2nd tumble. The Jar Doctor claims that 1500 Grit will start out as a cutter for the first 24 hours and then end up as a polisher. That doesn't seem to work for everybody, but it almost always works out for me.

judu

Reaction score
thanks for the advise chosi... ill try using the 1500 and see how that turns out..

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Tumbler? did some one say tumbler!!!??? !@#$%^&*[:mad:][:-]

Moe Larry the sleaze Moe Larry the sleaze !!!

033C14507C87419AAED48988AFDBCE71.jpg

Attachments

• 033C14507C87419AAED48988AFDBCE71.jpg
    033C14507C87419AAED48988AFDBCE71.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 89

Diggin4Togas

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: chosi

Probably yes.

When I use 1200 Grit, which is a fairly coarse cutter, the bottle comes out resembling a frosty mug just out of the freezer.  To remove the "frostiness" I tumble a 2nd time with Aluminum Oxide for at least 2 - 4 days.  2 days is usually enough, but if you take it out after 2 days and it's still frosty looking, you may end up tumbling it a 3rd time and that's a lot of work.  On the other hand, if you tumble it too long, it tends to get very "mirror-like", and some people don't like that effect. 

When I use 1500 Grit (a less coarse cutter), I find that if I just let it go for 3 or 4 days, I don't need a 2nd tumble.  The Jar Doctor claims that 1500 Grit will start out as a cutter for the first 24 hours and then end up as a polisher.  That doesn't seem to work for everybody, but it almost always works out for me.
I agree, But you may find it varries with different colors of glass. Takes a lot of time and documentation. Randy

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
The hardness of glass can vary from the formula of the glass and the annealing process.

I was thinking about a way to tell if a bottle has unsafe stresses in it before spinning it (avoided the T word).
You should be able to look at the bottle through a polarizing lense and see stress points in the glass which would make it unsafe to polish.

buzzkutt033

Reaction score
that is very interesting matt. i've never " broken " a bottle spinning it, but there are a couple times that small, round " pressure " cracks developed. they are usually on the shoulder of the bottle where the glass is thinnest.

you really think we could see stressed area using polarized lenses ??

jim

chosi

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds
You should be able to look at the bottle through a polarizing lense and see stress points in the glass which would make it unsafe to polish.

If you have some glass with stress points, is it possible to take a photo of it through a polarizing lens, and teach us how to recognize such a thing?

Staff online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky