two good 4-10 recoveries

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
an afterthought.

I've dug probably a hundred or so shards of flasks over the many years, and 3 whole ones. I dont think I've ever dug an aqua shard flask, unless I'm forgetting. Always New England olive amber. have a couple of dark teal Willington shards, but no aqua flask shards.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Real nice bottles you dug there....Did you keep the broken ones? Those both look very early to me. Thanks for showing us.
m6.gif

Joe

appliedlips

Reaction score
Great digs Bill! I am not sure of the MK# on the flasks but did dig a pair of them in the same mold in Indiana years ago. I never dug even shards of that mold in any part of Ohio so I'd assume they were made somewhere further West of Pittsburgh or Ohio. Louisville possibly but if so then I'd assume they should show up in Cincy or along the River. Maybe a more obscure glasshouse in the midwest. I have seen a couple others but not many, they all seem to have the same donut looking outwardly rolled lip which is not a common treatment on flasks of the period. Is it as green as it looks?Congrats again.

appliedlips

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: downeastdigger

I dont think I've ever dug an aqua shard flask, unless I'm forgetting. Always New England olive amber. have a couple of dark teal Willington shards, but no aqua flask shards.

You poor thing![;)] That sounds like a good problem to have, kind of like "where am I going to put all this money". Only kidding, good luck out there.

tftfan

Reaction score
Good for you Bill , awesome bottles .

sandchip

Reaction score
I figure that it's a banner in the eagles mouth, and that a snake would be tapered towards the tail and more serpentine than a simple curve of pretty much the same thickness over the entire length. I don't know; that's just how I'm seeing it. Wouldn't matter a bit to me if I could find a great bottle like that.

earlyglass

Reaction score
Nice eagle flask!

The reason why the pale apple green one looks different from the olive amber is because they are two different molds, blown roughly 600 miles away from each other. The green eagle is a Pittsburgh flask from the 1860s, and the olive amber eagle (which is mine, currently on Ebay) is a NH flask, circa 1840s-50s. These patriotic eagles were produced at a number of glasshouses, however, these two are always confused with each other.

Mike

lexdigger

Reaction score
Hey Mike, I just found that pic online and posted it because of the "serpent" look to it. I believe the flask that druggistnut has is a banner rather than a snake.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marenjch