Under Lincoln's A s s they used to load glass.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
They sure as heck look like diamond glass cutting lines dont they Joe.[:)]

This whole adventure totally blew me away when I found out about these glass works.I guess because just about no one collects window panes in our or anybodys hobby for that matter. Detailed books were never written about the window pane based glass works.Early on there were more window works then the bottle producing ones.I have walked on the ground surrounding the Lincoln Memorial at least 25 times in my lifetime.Never in my wildest thoughts would I suspect a rather large 1400 ft by 1400 ft property with a huge glass works employing over 300 hands right next to and a pier going right out to where the memorial sits.Mind bogling.[sm=rolleyes.gif]These glass factories or works were responsible for the growth of the city or town near them more then any other entity at the time of their existance no matter what part of the country they were located in.They were also as profitable as all get out as a lot of the owners were very wealthy at some point in their ownership.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Pretty cool assesment Steve. I like how you analyze the data and assimilate the facts. You are an asset to the forum and an analytical assessor.

Pretty funny that Lincoln's ass is on glass. Kinda validates my whole existence.[:)]

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Remember Jackie the old bald headed guy Benny Hill would slap on the head and wave his finger Ni Ni Ni Ni Ni Ni no!! On one of the episodes Benny was a school teacher and asked him what is an asset to which Jackie replyed A YOUNG DONKEY[:D][:D] I loved the Benny Hill show one of my favorites.For those who may care a picture of where the works were located.The area inside of the lavender line west of the White House and north of the glass factory is where the villages sprang up because of the glass works.Thomas Jefferson had all of the windows for his mansion estate Monticello made at these works

03FC8AA692E14077A748831BC429D391.jpg

Attachments

• 03FC8AA692E14077A748831BC429D391.jpg
    03FC8AA692E14077A748831BC429D391.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 125

surfaceone

Reaction score
I hope I am not scolded for the title as it is a catchy tune dont you think.

I dunno Steve,

Can you dance to it?

Thanks for this historical Glass Perspective. It's been a long while since I've been to Lincoln's Monument. Now that you've brought this to our attention, I'm sure I'll be wondering every time I see a photo. How much window pane is in the river beyond...

kinescope-three_013.jpg

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
They sure as heck look like diamond glass cutting lines dont they Joe.

This whole adventure totally blew me away when I found out about these glass works.I guess because just about no one collects window panes in our or anybodys hobby for that matter. Detailed books were never written about the window pane based glass works.

Yes,...they do look just like glass cutter scores, Steve....

I would probably collect some varied window pane 'bullseye's" if I had the dough....

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
I noticed something in this picture Joe,the glass is rounded over.It almost looks like a router chamifered the edge.In reality I believe this was the outer edge of the crown disc, and the score marks are where the glass man cut away the glass to a specific size.The outer edge would be soft and rounded over in appearance on the freshly blown disc.

A7BC58194F8742A89F127EECA2965083.jpg

Attachments

• A7BC58194F8742A89F127EECA2965083.jpg
    A7BC58194F8742A89F127EECA2965083.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 102

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members