Understanding/identifying what a pontil scar is.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
but it could also strengthen the base some, is there a basis to say it doesn't.

Yes, I think there is evidence. If this were a technique to strengthen the base, we would see it used frequently on other bottles. You made an assertion with no evidence to back it up. It would have been better to just acknowledge it.

Bottle 2 Rocks

Reaction score
Yes, I think there is evidence. If this were a technique to strengthen the base, we would see it used frequently on other bottles. You made an assertion with no evidence to back it up. It would have been better to just acknowledge it.
Well thank you very much master bottle Yoda, nitpick the incoming freshman's thread. Is this really the point of the thread-I mean REALLY!!!

hemihampton

Reaction score
catlickingfencecloseup.jpg

treeguyfred

Reaction score
Sooo.. here are a few pics of Iron pontil scars on the bottom of Porter & Ales (folks call these squat sodas, if they don't specifically state Porter & Ale)

note the big difference in the appearance of the smooth bases verses the pontil scarred bases
IMG_6140 (2).jpgIMG_6141 (2).jpgIMG_6142 (2).jpg

Iron pontil scars can be really dramatic or very light. I have seen square ones and rectangular ones, round domed or actual donut type!
Honestly, once a hobbyist handles a quantity of these bottles of true pontil era the important tell-tale features become readily noticeable.
I also saw the loss of some pontils in the early days of bottle tumbling... and now there are several fixes for that thankfully. I still see bottles at shows that have had their pontils tumbled almost completely gone, SMH - It can get confusing to entry level collectors!
~Fred

sandchip

Reaction score
...Lets start with the open pontil which is probably the most common of pontil marks. The still in making bottle is put on the pontil rod with a blob of glass to hold it while the top...

Just to clarify, a "rod" was not actually used on bottles with an open pontil scar, but another blowpipe as mentioned by Harry. The "open" is a descriptive term referring to the the fact that there's nothing in the middle of the ring-shaped scar or in the pipe used. A rod-type pontil leaves a solid glass scar, less often seen on early American glass and more commonly seen on modern day art glass. Enjoying the discussion, because as stated, there's a ton of misconceptions out there, like the term "seams", which I try not to use any more, because there are none on any mold blown bottle. The word seam refers to the joining of two like pieces of material. like sewing cloth or welding steel, which never occurs when a bottle is blown, because the gather of glass is always in one piece. The mold lines or "seams" are only the impression left in the glass of where the mold halves or sections meet.

Last edited:

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
"The word seam refers to the joining of two like pieces of material. like sewing cloth or welding steel, which never occurs when a bottle is blown, because the gather of glass is always in one piece. The mold lines or "seams" are only the impression left in the glass of where the mold halves or sections meet."

A semantical nicety, indeed. A bottle can be described as a cast made inside a mold. The impressions on the bottle are of the joins (seams) of the mold parts. Those impressions then might be called "casts of the mold seams." But, I think "seams" will survive in our shorthand vernacular. :)

Bottle 2 Rocks

Reaction score
Well thank you very much master bottle Yoda, nitpick the incoming freshman's thread. Is this really the point of the thread-I mean REALLY!!!
[
"The word seam refers to the joining of two like pieces of material. like sewing cloth or welding steel, which never occurs when a bottle is blown, because the gather of glass is always in one piece. The mold lines or "seams" are only the impression left in the glass of where the mold halves or sections meet."

A semantical nicety, indeed. A bottle can be described as a cast made inside a mold. The impressions on the bottle are of the joins (seams) of the mold parts. Those impressions then might be called "casts of the mold seams." But, I think "seams" will survive in our shorthand vernacular. :)
Try to stay on point here guys I know its difficult for you. Try starting your own thread with this as a topic

Attachments

• https___prod.static9.net.au___media_2018_07_06_08_15_180706_coach_yawn_bae yawn.jpg
    https___prod.static9.net.au___media_2018_07_06_08_15_180706_coach_yawn_bae yawn.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 135

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis