Unknown bottles, help!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tolmanbridge

Reaction score
The Codd stopper C.N. Ballinger and blob Macdonald Bros, are both English. The flask is Zimmerman out of Portland. Tried to find out more on that bottle. I got four druggist ones including the nice one with the huge barnacle. The photo shows the two scratched bottles. The scratching really shows up well in the photos, much better than what you actually see. Do you know anything about the tall green bottles in the photos as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0207.JPG
    IMG_0207.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 89

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
The Codd stopper C.N. Ballinger and blob Macdonald Bros, are both English. The flask is Zimmerman out of Portland. Tried to find out more on that bottle. I got four druggist ones including the nice one with the huge barnacle. The photo shows the two scratched bottles. The scratching really shows up well in the photos, much better than what you actually see. Do you know anything about the tall green bottles in the photos as well.
Those scratch bottles are great, I didn't know Phillips was still scratching his initials in bottles late enough for there to be any scratched Hutches. Those tall green ones are generally referred to as caper bottles I think, and are thought to come from somewhere in Europe (France maybe?) I think there are British ones too but that neck on yours doesn't look very British to me.

tolmanbridge

Reaction score
Those scratch bottles are great, I didn't know Phillips was still scratching his initials in bottles late enough for there to be any scratched Hutches. Those tall green ones are generally referred to as caper bottles I think, and are thought to come from somewhere in Europe (France maybe?) I think there are British ones too but that neck on yours doesn't look very British to me.
Thanks for the information. As my last name is Phillips I like collecting bottles with our name on them.

tolmanbridge

Reaction score
So you bought just to re-sell?
...and you want the good people here to help your profiteering?
No, as I said a number of times previously. I purchased the collection because I wanted a few bottles in the collection for myself. The previous owner would not sell individual bottles and I had to purchase the entire collection, much of which I didn't want. What would you have me do? Am I supposed to just throw away or give away the rest of the collection? That would mean I would be paying hundreds of dollars for a few bottles which were worth far less than that. Now that I have the bottles, I am trying to get as much information as possible so I can let future buyers know what they are getting. Again, what is wrong with that? Remarks like yours are totally uncalled for. I happen to live in an area where there are few collectors, partially because the opportunity to find or dig for bottles is very limited, if nonexistant. So the only way to get new bottles is through purchases which sometimes require buying entire collections to get a couple bottles. I guess you must either be independently wealthy and can just throw away cash/bottles or else you happen to live somewhere where you are able to find your own. Either way, keep your impolite remarks to yourself and if you don't want to help others, that is your choice.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with what you did, The guy wanted you to take them all & you had to to get what you wanted. Nothing wrong with that. LEON.

tolmanbridge

Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with what you did, The guy wanted you to take them all & you had to to get what you wanted. Nothing wrong with that. LEON.
Thank you very much for the support. I haven't been on here very often and thought what I was requesting was fine. I hope my comment to the poster clears up any concerns others might have. The area I live in was settled in the early 1900's and most building sites have been plowed under long ago for farms or covered over by roads and expanding cities. When I was much younger I had the strength and time to go to a few farms, get permission from the owners and look around old buildings but my best finds were a few Dr. Bells Medical Wonders and some fruit jars, mainly Crowns. I really like the old, blob top sodas but any from Alberta seem rare and far too expensive for me to obtain. Now my searching is mainly on the internet, Marketplace, and Kijiji. I was very lucky to find the fellow on Vancouver Island when I was out there visiting my grandchildren. He was leaving the country and wanted quite a bit for the collection but I figured over time, I might be able to get back most of what I paid and still keep the five or six bottles I really wanted for my collection. I love history so whenever I purchase something, bottles, antiques, old tools, glass ware, books, coins, etc. I try to find as much about them as possible. Keeps me busy in my retired years.

Huntindog

Reaction score
A number of years ago I vacationed in Victoria and did a few dives.
I found some cool bottles some Thorpe, Morley, Victoria Brewing and maybe my best find was a A. Philips Victoria B.C ginger beer.
One of the earliest A. Philips bottles and it has a barnacle on the back of the neck.
P7230098.JPG

tolmanbridge

Reaction score
A number of years ago I vacationed in Victoria and did a few dives.
I found some cool bottles some Thorpe, Morley, Victoria Brewing and maybe my best find was a A. Philips Victoria B.C ginger beer.
One of the earliest A. Philips bottles and it has a barnacle on the back of the neck.
View attachment 240098

IMG_0208.JPG

tolmanbridge

Reaction score
This bottle is one of the ones that really caught my eye when I saw the collection. I've never seen a barnacle that large and to be so nicely attached to a Victoria drug store bottle meant it went straight into my collection.
IMG_0209.JPG

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown