Unussual U.S HOSP DEPT on ebay

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
There is an interesting (or more like "weird" or.....) U.S Hosp dept cobalt blue bottle listed on eBay here is the URL

http://cgi.ebay.com/1800s-Cobalt-Blue-USA-Hospital-Dept-Glass-Bottle-Civil-/320545079698?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa1f9c192

This is a bit unussual though embossed on shoulder.
is this authentic? because I heard that there is plenty repro out there, the seams...

bottle_head9

Reaction score
I saw that listing also.There is no closeup of the top or base.I never saw one embossed around the shoulder either.I also didn`t see U.S. anywhere.It certainly raised a flag.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Some of the smaller sized ones are embossed on the shoulder.
The photos dont help much, nor does the Kovels "evidence".
Lots of people who know nothing about bottles collect those so it will probably still sell no matter how suspect it is.

Wangan

Reaction score
Was it P.T. Barnum or GreedBay that said they didnt say "there is a sucker born every minute"?[:D]

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I didnt mean to imply the one on fleabay is not authentic. I just cant tell one way or other for sure from the auction.
I can say that the vast majority of USA Hosp Dept bottles I have seen were authentic. There is no proliferation of fakes as far as I know.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
The light cobalt shoulder embossed bottles do exist. They were blown in Baltimore not Pittsburg. To my knowledge, (and that is quite limited) [:D] no reproductions of the shoulder embossed Hosp. bottles have been made.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
I found 3 records of this bottle from auctions past. One from Ebay and two from American bottle auctions.
This bottle is smaller than a quart as it only stands 7 1/4" tall. The ebay auction was in Sept of 2004 and sold for $425.00 with a chipped lip. One ABA was in Oct. 2003 near mint and sold for $1600.00. The other ABA sold was inAug 2008, graded an 8.5 and sold for $950.00 Prices seem to be everywhere. Kelley

CazDigger

Reaction score
Its the real deal, just a different version. I dug one of this type several years ago from a 1940s dump. I think it was a late throw from Fort Ontario. There are other small ones that are embossed in an oval. Here's mine.
Mark

DSCN3655.jpg

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Very Nice bottle Mark. Amazing it showed up in a 40's dump!
Matt, I have 4 different heights and lip sizes in the clear. There is also a very light Lime Green shoulder embossed that I am always on the look out for. I have only seen one like that come up for sale twice in 8 years. Those are pretty scarce.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94