Unusual Three Part Mould

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bohdan

Reaction score
I have found a number of 3 part mould bottles over the years but have never seen one like this. They may be common elsewhere and I just might need to get out more - but it is new to me. It is quite a crude bottle & definitely shows some age. My photography skills are questionable but I will blame my camera anyway and show you what I have. The blue lines indicate the mould seams. They are very distinct and actually form ridges on the glass. The rest of the text is self-explanatory. I dig in an area of BC that was settled in the late 1880's and boomed in the late 1890's during the Silver Mining days and I suspect that this bottle comes from that period. Anyone know anything about these type of moulds? Found one?
Thanx,
~
IMG_0006A.JPG
IMG_0006A.JPG

sandchip

Reaction score
Looks to be a tooled top, not applied. Mold section 3 might be the blank or slug for a not so conventional plate mold or perhaps one side of a regular two-piece mold that underwent repairs or modifications.

Bohdan

Reaction score
Looks to be a tooled top, not applied. Mold section 3 might be the blank or slug for a not so conventional plate mold or perhaps one side of a regular two-piece mold that underwent repairs or modifications.
You may be right about the top. I called it "applied" because there is a "drool" of glass on one side that I couldn't get into the photo - but it may also be just the result of incomplete tooling. Your theories about section 3 make sense to me as well but I'd sure like to hear that someone else had found one.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
I don't know what causes the offset seams on the body of the bottle. I have many embossed beers that are even more offset, but these examples are not of the hand tooled applied lips like your bottle. Mine look more like a machine made lip. It looks like the mold on your bottle was opened and then closed again thus creating the seam. I could have happened when the lip was applied. Your lip was probably made with a hand held device. The examples of offset seams on my bottles actually look like the bottle was transferred to a second mold for making the crown top lip with another mold. I will try to get a couple out and photograph them for reference.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp