Up and down the river banks

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Just Dig it

Reaction score
That Embossed Sparrow/Swallow would have been a really cool soda..Digging is digging..being unknowledgable is kind of like the whole ignorance is bliss saying

When i started Blue vicks and noxemas were awesome..Theres really only a certain ammount of time you can cherish those little guys..before what you want to collect and what you dont catches up with you..enjoy it while it lasts ..and keep kicking Glass...Eric Mass

old.s.bottles

Reaction score
You telling him that hes only gunna enjoy collecting those for so long, just shortened the time he's gunna enjoy collecting them. [:D]

mr.fred

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Nickevlau

DD639ACC6DE74984ABBCC87791FFC210.jpg
That's a Pluto Mineral Water bottle[:D]----neat find ----Welcome to the forum-keep digging theres more under there[;)].

beendiggin

Reaction score
I think you are in a decent aged dump. It might get older than 1900 if you dig deeper. I usually go right for the center of those dumps because that's usually where I find the oldest stuff if it's older underneath. It looks to me like your current finds are from the 1900- 1930's era. You should be able to find some milks and poisons there, marbles, and maybe some candy containers. I think you'll get knowledgable pretty quickly if you keep digging and hang around this website.

willong

Reaction score
Hi Kevin,

There are many people who enjoy what they enjoy. In other words, if you have fun unearthing and collecting ABM (Automatic Bottle Machine) milks, sodas, and etc., there is nothing wrong with that. It sure beats sitting in front of the Boob Tube all day. However, in watching these forum discussions, I think you will discover that the majority of the members appreciate and search for older, handmade (mouth blown) glass. There are pieces in your photo that indicate your dump is chronologically at and after the transitional period (about 1902 to 1910 for North America) from the handmade era to machine made. The Pluto Water bottle is know in both BIM (Blown In Mold) and ABM variants; as are lightning stopper bottles (that's a lightning stopper to the lower left of your cobalt blue shard). Heed the advice others have already offered--dig the dump thoroughly. Keep what you like, and do not discard any BIM bottles until you learn more about them. There are many resources, online and off, that will educate you--one of the best is here http://www.blm.gov/historic_bottles/. A word of warning: this hobby is addictive. Welcome, and best of luck! Hope to see many more posts from you.

Regards,

Will

THE BADGER

Reaction score
i would also say between 1920's-1940's ,lots of nice stuff to be had in that age dump.and yes late throws are always a possibility.good luck BADGER

crabbergirl

Reaction score
Hi Nick,
I am also new here, but not new to digging and hunting. You state the river, what river are you hunting? I hunt many dumps and banks along the St. Johns from the mouth to the inlet. Every trip I find something cool. You will find < such as with me right now, ps I am at work >, it becomes your main focus of thought. It's always about what you could find or what you may have left behind. My one thought is NEVER leave a bottle laying without picking it up to examine. Never assume it is nothing, case in point, I was resting and my husbad was picking, I ask what he found and he said junk. I was not satisfied with his observation and made him bring me the bottle. It turned out to be an amber I Treger bottle. Even though I can't find much on it the color tells me it may be more than junk.
Happy hunting!

Just Dig it

Reaction score
I meant no disrespect = (..i was jsut saying my glass taste has evolved into a few different branches off the tree

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum