Uranium Glass

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

slugplate

Reaction score
I also picked this salt shaker yesterday on a berm that separates Raritan Bay from a marsh area. It's my first whole piece of uranium glass I've found. It's pretty heavy for its size and I'm shocked it still has the cap on it.

Attachments

• IMG_3399.JPG
    IMG_3399.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1760.JPG
    IMG_1760.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 214
  • IMG_3782.JPG
    IMG_3782.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 209

slugplate

Reaction score
Looks great. I don't know anything about uranium glass. I wonna know.
By the way I sent you an float on the thread 100% ...Regards Al
Thanks Al. Uranium glass is what it sounds like, it has minuscule amounts of uranium to turn the glass that color (it glows in the dark when hit with a blacklight). Much like bottle makers thatusing gold to turn glass red. Both in very small quantities.

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
I also picked this salt shaker yesterday on a berm that separates Raritan Bay from a marsh area. It's my first whole piece of uranium glass I've found. It's pretty heavy for its size and I'm shocked it still has the cap on it.
Nice find! They usually don't have the cap anymore. I recently found one too. Not even sure what I'll do with it. But I don't think people threw them away too often. Maybe I can find a replacement cap for mine. It's a Hazel-Atlas.
DSCN5067.JPG
DSCN5066.JPG

slugplate

Reaction score
Nice find! They usually don't have the cap anymore. I recently found one too. Not even sure what I'll do with it. But I don't think people threw them away too often. Maybe I can find a replacement cap for mine. It's a Hazel-Atlas.
View attachment 201812View attachment 201813
Nice! My shaker needs a more aggressive cleaning approach, your's looks mint. It amazed me how heavy it was for such a small container. Unfortunately, mine does not have a base marking to trace the manufacturer. But, I must admit, both of our shakers look like cousins.

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
I know people who collect Uranium/Vaseline glassware. They put a group together, turn out the lites and shine a blacklite lamp on it and the result is...spectacular!
I need to get a blacklight. Back when I was growing up in the 90's they were the trendy thing to have. Now I just want one for glassware.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora