USA Hosp Dept

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hi, I just joined this forum today and from what I have read so far, Here in lies a wealth of information for an ole boy new to bottles. My bud's and I have recently uncovered some Hospital pits at an Indian Wars Military Fort that was established in 1875 and abandoned in 1890. We have pulled over 150 in tact bottles, inks, plates and such so far. Some of these are USA Hosp Dept bottles. I am familiar with most types of embossing on these except for this one I have. The USA is on a curve on top, but the Hosp Dept . is on a straight line underneath. There is no oval shield. I have seen both being curved , or both straight, but not one line of each. Is this uncommon or just another style? Also I have heard in near mint condition, they bring around $250.00? They are not for sale, but I would like to know their worth. I also have one cobalt blue that is about 3" tall. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Kelley

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply mizmustdig, I couldn't get that link to come up that you gave me. Kelley

Pontiled

Reaction score
Okay, now you hear from the guy who has written so much about these bottles! First, the fact that the fort dates from 1875, does not mean that the bottles also date from 1875. Yours, and so many examples of which are circa Civil War (1861-1865), were sold at the end of the war and thereafter simply because there was so much left over that could not effectively used. Rather than discarding the bottles and contents, they were sold, essentially as surplus. Much remained in the East, while lots went out to the forts that were for the Indian Wars period. These were military supplies that had not been sold.

Now, about value... The ones that are worth substantially more than yours are those blown in cobalt-blue/sapphire, amber, olive green, emerald green, and tints of these colors. Your is a better, and scarcer, variety and $250 would be a fair price. However, you may get a little bit more if the person who was buying it knew that it is a scarcer variety.

By the way, some of the smaller cobalt blue cylinders and ovals are VERY weakly embossed. So much so that a light coating of mud would obliterate any sign of embossing. Check any cobalt-blue cylinders and ovals very carefully. You might have a keeper even there!

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Thanks Python and Roger, I got it to come up just fine. Mike, which one of mine was more scarce? The curved USA with the straight Hosp Dept under it , or the oval embossed? Thanks, Kelley

Pontiled

Reaction score
Definitely the curved U.S.A. Hosp. Dept. with the curve/straight. The oval isn't all that common, but it's NOT a common one, but it won't quite get $250 minimum for it.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Thank you Mike. Once I get them cleaned up, they should look good in my display case.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum