Value?? #13 aqua quart with Masonic Cross

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Elliott

Reaction score
I ran across an aqua quart size Mason jar at a flea market that was the older style jar with the Cross on the side and the patent date Nov 1858 on the bottom. The number on the bottom appeared to be a 13, but the 3 was embossed so faintly that it could have been a 5. It looked more like a 3. I sometimes sell jars on eBay, and myth or not, #13 is popular. I haven't seen this number before on the old style jar, let alone one with the Masonic Cross. The dealer came down to $20 from $25, but I didn't buy it. Considering that the number was difficult to make out, does anyone have any advice as to the value? Thank you.
L. Elliott

woody

Reaction score
There's alot of Mason jars with the cross on them.
If you could post a picture or a more accurate description it would really help us out.

Elliott

Reaction score
Thanks, Woody. I didn't buy it, so no photo. I was more interested in knowing how much the faintly embossed number (it was very difficult to read) has an effect on the value.

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
Elliott, As far as I can tell, it's only the Ball Perfect Mason jars embossed with 13 that seem to draw any attention. As many on this board are well aware, my opinion is that any jar with a 13 on the bottom is not worth a nickel more than any other jar with any other number on the bottom. The whole story of either superstitious housewives or moonshiners breaking the jars is only urban legend at best. Housewives and moonshiners both were way too frugal to go out and break a bunch of perfectly usable jars. All that aside, the average Mason's Cross Patent Nov. 30th 1858 is valued at around $4 - $8. I sure wouldn't go out & spend $20 just to find out if there's somebody out there who would be willing to spend more than that for a jar with "maybe" a 13 on the bottom. Just one person's humble opinion - Tammy

Elliott

Reaction score
Thanks, Tammy. That's what I wanted to know. I appreciate it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sneaky Pete