Vaseline Glass?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bottle_lady

Reaction score
Is there a way to tell if something is Vaseline glass without a black light?

Attachments

• A538BC48-5982-4441-941C-B06C59C5B8A2.jpeg
    A538BC48-5982-4441-941C-B06C59C5B8A2.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 116

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
That green glass is Uranium glass. I have run across tons of that. Vaseline glass is yellow colored depression glass. Made with uranium oxides. Vaseline glass is a subset of uranium glass that has uranium in it, but that is only yellow in color. True depression glass should have tons of tiny bubbles in it. Best to use a uv light.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Toma777

Reaction score
Other than a blacklight, a Geiger counter. Just the other day I checked how hot my Vaseline glass is, and the hottest piece is about 6 times over background radiation. The weaker pieces are about 3 times over background radiation.

The background radiation at my place is about 13 counts per minute (CPM), because of the elevation of my property. It's usually lower at sea level.

Hot Glass.JPG

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Other than a blacklight, a Geiger counter. Just the other day I checked how hot my Vaseline glass is, and the hottest piece is about 6 times over background radiation. The weaker pieces are about 3 times over background radiation.

The background radiation at my place is about 13 counts per minute (CPM), because of the elevation of my property. It's usually lower at sea level.

View attachment 225655
Wow, that's thinking outside the UV box so to speak. Very intelligent problem solving.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

buriedtreasuretime

Reaction score

It has an unusual glow( uranium I think). Very luminous you will know it when you see it, it’s yellow green not dul green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buriedtreasuretime

Reaction score

View attachment 225655

The first three are depression pressed glass, not Vaseline glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toma777

Reaction score
The three greener pieces have added iron oxide, which gives them the "Vaseline" green color, a 'common' name for the glass, although not technically correct.

I would love to find one of the pieces made with 25% uranium. That would be hot. o_O:p

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi