Very heavy green beer or ale bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dragonfly

Reaction score
I think this is 19th c. but I could be wrong---it has very thick glass at the bottom, so it's quite heavy for it's size. Is it for beer, ale, or something else? Is that an open pontil, or what's going on there? There's a sharp edge, but it also looks molded? I'd love to know approximate date and function, if possible SDC10379.JPGSDC10380.JPGSDC10387.JPGzz

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
It's an early 20th century bottle, probably ginger ale and most likely UK-made. I'd guess that it dates to around 1910-1930. The mark on the base is a suction scar from an early automatic bottle machine. You'll never see a pontil and a crown top on the same bottle, the two were separated by about 50 years.

dragonfly

Reaction score
It's an early 20th century bottle, probably ginger ale and most likely UK-made. I'd guess that it dates to around 1910-1930. The mark on the base is a suction scar from an early automatic bottle machine. You'll never see a pontil and a crown top on the same bottle, the two were separated by about 50 years.
Well, I guess I'm in the wrong subforum then, oops! Thank you so much--I'm very new at this, and I appreciate the education. :) That's very cool.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
No worries. Everyone learns here. I'd like to think what's said on the forum stays here. Kind of like the confessional, sort of. When it comes to bottles its like learning English--guideline type rules with variants (depending on the example bot in your hand.) Sometimes not easy for newcomers. Hang in there. Smile + wave.;) Welcome to our club dragonfly.

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado