very large glass bottles, one with a round bottom

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Newbloomfield

Reaction score
IMG_4422.jpg

Newbloomfield

Reaction score
Hello, We lived in St. Louis when I was a boy and my mother loved antiques. She had these for many years, not sure where she got them, but I was wondering if anyone might know their history? thank you

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,
Hello, We lived in St. Louis when I was a boy and my mother loved antiques. She had these for many years, not sure where she got them, but I was wondering if anyone might know their history? thank you
I believe these are spring water demijon bottles. The one on the left probably dates to the 1890s and the one on the right dates a bit newer 1910s-1930s.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
The ovate bottle is a demijohn . . . it was covered in wicker originally. It was used for bulk storage or shipping -- wine, water, grape juice, etc. It appears to have an applied lip. It likely dates from 1870 to 1890s.

The cylindrical bottle is carboy, probably for water. It didn't have a wicker cover. It appears to have a tooled lip, and likely dates from 1900 to 1950s.

seniorscuba1

Reaction score
Hi my brother-in-law inherited an old farmhouse in the north of Italy were there in 2004 and looking to the old place I found a couple of bottles that look just like this they were used to store wine . Dated to the mid 1800's

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum