Virgin Islands Dive Find - Any Info Appreciated

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

airbish

Reaction score
Hi. This bottle was recovered on a random reef dive in the Virgin Islands. (NOT on a marked dive site, known wreck, or within a marine park).

I'd love to learn some more about it if anyone here has additional insight.

I am brand new to bottles, so I could be completely wrong, but my initial research leads me to believe that it is:

- Hand Blown 'Black Glass' (almost completely opaque with a deep olive green coloring)
- 3-Piece Mold
- Applied Lip
- Pontil with Vent? Not sure about that one.

It has some surface and embedded bubbles. Rough surface finish. Lots of wavy lines in the glass surface. And a fair amount of 'hand tooling' marks on the neck and lip.

Guessing 1840s-1870s...but again I am just going on very limited initial research.

I don't expect it has any significant value, but would just like to know more about it. Any additional info or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

(Not sure why the upload manager rotated all of these...or how to rotate them back.)

image1.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpgimage4.jpgimage5.jpgIMG_2134.jpg

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I don't see definitive evidence of a pontil scar. I believe it's an ale bottle from the second half of the 19th Century.

CreekWalker

Reaction score
I agree, it's not a pontiled bottle, based on the base photo shown. A pic with a background light illuminating the base, may change my mind. It appears to be 1870's (late) TO 1900. It is a great find and a great bottle.

airbish

Reaction score
Thanks - Couple extra base photos

Thanks for the feedback guys. That is in line with what I expected.

Attached are a couple extra base photos that may or may not help. There is an area about 1" in diameter in the center of the base that is slightly rougher. It's hard to see unless the light is just right. Not sure what the bump is in the center.

The lit photo doesn't show much as there is hardened sediment in the bottle.

Any way to tell if it is US or European manufacture?

I'm happy with it no matter what. Good memento and looks great in the bookcase.

Thanks again.

IMG_2139.jpgIMG_2140.jpgIMG_2141.jpgIMG_2142.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I believe the vast majority of these are European, specifically from England, but it doesn't look quite like the English ales I'm used to so difficult to say for sure.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac