W.F. Gray & Co. Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CurbdiggerCarl

Reaction score
Greetings, new to this site. Live out here in Denver, this summer I hit a bottle dump area, where I dug this bottle.
It's a small, clear, medicine, from Nashville. Only thing I know about W.F. Gray was that he was in the Civil War.
Any info would be appreciated.
Carl

5B97178BA73B48A4BFC809EFD20B67A1.jpg

Attachments

• 5B97178BA73B48A4BFC809EFD20B67A1.jpg
    5B97178BA73B48A4BFC809EFD20B67A1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 49

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I couldn't find a Pharmacy and that looks like a pharmacy bottle. 95% of what I found was the ointment below.

They were court ordered in 1920 to change their labeling in 1920 to comply with the PF&D Act FROM
Although the firm made many medicines for over a century this little ointment article wraps it up nicely from The Pharmaceutical era, Volume 43

Gray's Ointment Has Ninety Years' Record.
The history of Gray's Ointment, manufactured by W. F. Gray & Co., Nashville, Tenn., affords a striking demonstration of success won solely by merit and word-of-mouth advertising. Until the past year newspaper or journal advertising has never been employed. Back in 1820 Dr. W. W. Gray, in Raleigh, •N. C, first made this ointment, which is therefore, perhaps, the oldest ointment on the market. He was succeeded by his son. \. F. Gray, also a doctor, in 1850, and upon the latter's death a year ago, the business descended to his children. Ninety years' record, in the same family, passing through three generations. Gray's Ointment is recommended for all external diseases, its exceptional value and curative qualities being well attested by the host of cures which are to be attributed to it. The announcement in this issue and an inquiry to the manufacturers will afford additional and specific information. Druggists interested in handling a ready-seller of this nature will do well to write for details.

sandchip

Reaction score
That's a great looking bottle! Nice embossing and an unusual base too.

CurbdiggerCarl

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I mainly dig Colorado stuff out here in Denver. (Medicines, at least)
Any info on possible value? I really just keep the local sbottles and artifacts.
Carl

tigue710

Reaction score
Sometimes if your lucky you can find the most interesting connections to out of state bottles... I dug a lot of Kentucky
Bottles in Connecticut and come to find out there was a connection between the two states through racing horses. A particular dump I dug from a hotel had a lot of Kentucky bottles and Kentucky guests at the hotel who had been in town inquiring on horses...

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp