War of 1812 era plates, cups, bottles display

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Leep1660

Reaction score
I'm putting together glass, stoneware and China display on the era of the war of 1812. The plates include Spode, meigh, Samuel duncombe, worchester. cups/bottles include: delft style pitcher marked 1805, London mustard bottle C. 1800, black glass mallet bottle 1790, ovoid saltglaze jug c. 1790, american red ware creamer 1810-1820, Georgian jelly glass 18th century and cups include Chinese export, chamberlains fluted, a Barr worchester, Flight and Barr Worcester. Also got a large ovoid German or american jug 1810-1830

Attachments

• 20220323_193933.jpg
    20220323_193933.jpg
    573.8 KB · Views: 223
  • 20220323_194015.jpg
    20220323_194015.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 201
  • 20220323_194138.jpg
    20220323_194138.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 187
  • 20220323_194145.jpg
    20220323_194145.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 195
  • 20220323_194256.jpg
    20220323_194256.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 188
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 11.28.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 11.28.13 PM.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 196

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Excellent display. "Very pretty, but can they fight?"... Hate to be picky, but it seems like the wares of the average fighting man should be represented with a title such as "Era of the War of 1812." Btw, that war was from 1812-1815. If you include 1790s artifacts, among others mentioned, you are in the Federal Period. How about a slightly different title such as "Early American to 1830" or "C. 1st quarter 19th Century artifacts?" Nice job labeling too. Where can we see this display in person? Keep up the great work.

Leep1660

Reaction score
Yea
Excellent display. "Very pretty, but can they fight?"... Hate to be picky, but it seems like the wares of the average fighting man should be represented with a title such as "Era of the War of 1812." Btw, that war was from 1812-1815. If you include 1790s artifacts, among others mentioned, you are in the Federal Period. How about a slightly different title such as "Early American to 1830" or "C. 1st quarter 19th Century artifacts?" Nice job labeling too. Where can we see this display in person? Keep up the great work.
I know it would seem bit confusing but i want to paint a picture of the tableware during the war. Yes its not what a soldier would of had durning the time, too delicate but all represented what would have been used in forts and towns durning the war, yes the war of 1812-1815 but if u research most excavations of sites, you will get most late 18th pottery/glass up until 1812, around here in upper Canada late 1790s items is very common use durning war, and how where a throw away culture now, back when u kept your China and glass until it actually like 20- 30 years before throwing it out, thos is more represnted of items used in a officers quarters or baracks ( higher end building).the ovoid German stoneware is 1810-1830 but is represented as the same style jug a person of German heritage would of used durning the time period of the war. The scare amount of imported glass and pottery in Canada durning the war due to st. Lawrence river unpassable by boat pasted Montreal made upper canada ( ontario) in the late 18th century pottery glass the common use at forts like fort Frontenac/henry, fort York, fort Niagara, etc. Even when war was declared these sites where not using up to date pottery/glass, same tableware brought when these forts where built in the 1790s slowly preparing for another war with america.

Last edited:

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yea

I know it would seem bit confusing buy want to paint a picture of the tableware during the war. Yes its not what a soldier would of had durning the time, too delicate but all represented what would have been used in forts and towns durning the war, yes the war of 1812-1815 but if u research most excavations of sites, you will get most late 18th pottery/glass up until 1812, around here in upper Canada late 1790s items is very common use durning war, and how where a throw away culture now, back when u kept your China and glass until it actually like 20- 30 years before throwing it out, thos is more represnted of items used in a officers quarters or baracks ( higher end building).the ovoid German stoneware is 1810-1830 but is represented as the same style jug a person of German heritage would of used durning the time period of the war. The scare amount of imported glass and pottery in Canada durning the war due to st. Lawrence river unpassable by boat pasted Montreal made upper canada ( ontario) in the late 18th century pottery glass the common use at forts like fort Frontenac/henry, fort York, fort Niagara, etc. Even when war was declared these sites where not using up to date pottery/glass, same tableware brought when these forts where built in the 1790s slowly preparing for another war with america.
That's a good point about older items still being in use during that time period. Even now it's not at all uncommon to see people using dishes that are several decades old.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
I have no real problem with what you say. Just thought that it would be nice to see at least one military entry in your display. It might be the cornerstone piece of the collection and would serve to bolster the original title. Ahhyup! I'll bet both sets of our ancestral national folks on this side of the pond used more than a few commonly British made pieces as well as the rarer locally made. Also, please forgive us for Benedict Arnold's invasion of your neck of the woods. He was a bit of a hothead who was bewitched by his lovely, tory, wife. One hell of a combat soldier though. (We here in CT and some historians are looking slightly more appreciative of his early efforts in recent years.) Good luck with your display.

Btw, I'll be on the next Bernie Sanders bus going into Canada to buy more affordable meds :) . Hey, do you think the States have achieved hockey parity with Canadians yet?;) I heard somewhere there is going to be a new movie coming out. Its entitled something like "Revenge of the Hartford Whalers." Spoiler Alert- The whales, led by player-coach Paul Watson, win in this one.:D

Last edited:

Leep1660

Reaction score
I got abunch of militaria from the war just in other displays and on my walls . It would be nice to get something in the glassware plateware retaining to the war but super rare to come by, I almost got a plate with roman numerals "104" meaning the British 104 regiment during the war but someone bidded 800+$ so I gave up. Things more retaining to solider during that time is a pewter plate with knife and fork, a pewter tankyard and a wooden waterkeg, but mostly unmarked items make it tricky to pinpoint the era sometimes. Yea Benedict with Washington Tryed to take Quebec city from us in the seven year war. Sorry not a big hockey fan lol I know its a stereotype for Canadians lol

Leep1660

Reaction score
I got abunch of militaria from the war just in other displays and on my walls ( here's one example) . It would be nice to get something in the glassware plateware retaining to the war but super rare to come by, I almost got a plate with roman numerals "104" meaning the British 104 regiment during the war but someone bidded 800+$ so I gave up. Things more retaining to solider during that time is a pewter plate with knife and fork, a pewter tankyard and a wooden waterkeg, but mostly unmarked items make it tricky to pinpoint the era sometimes. Yea Benedict with Washington Tryed to take Quebec city from us in 1775. Sorry not a hockey fan lol I know its a stereotype for Canadians lol

Attachments

• 20220325_182831.jpg
    20220325_182831.jpg
    561.4 KB · Views: 135

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Yes, all true. I realize that taking a military artifact off your wall or out of its case is very problematic in the least. You have a great display as is...

Canadians and hockey is definitely a stereotype. Did you hear a news report in the last fortnight that Canadians (at some level: regional/national) were seriously considering adding hockey to schoolboy curriculum to enlarge the numbers and increase the efficiency? --You know what they say--"IT CAN BE TWO THINGS." :)

My favorite Canadian --Jimmy Dohan, aka "Scotty," from the original Star Trek series. I met him once and he related his story of landing on Normandy Beach during WWII during which he was wounded. I was proud to shake his hand and say thanks. --There are a few others but I'll need to be breaking out a Molson's or two at that point...

Needless to say, but every once in a while we should, we're damn proud and appreciative, here in the States, to have Canadians as neighbors, trade partners, and friends. We realize very well that we not only share a great continent, but to get along in this world we've got each other's back in peace and war.:cool:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi