WAS COCA COLA INVENTED IN VALENCIA, SPAIN ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Surf ~

Here's a book/document of some kind that sounds promising. I wonder if our mysterious Mr. Spain is mentioned in it? Lol

SPBOB

One Hundred Years of Temperance. A Memorial Volume of the Centennial Temperance Conference Held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, September, 1885. New York; National Temperance Society & Publication House, 1886.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
[ Ongoing File ]

I was able to access the temperance book through a Google Books format. As I suspected because of the word "Temperance," it is totally anti-alcohol. It is 659 pages long and the most boring account of it's kind I have ever scrolled through. No way was I going to read the entire thing. I can't imagine that a single person ever read it. It contains the the majority of the minutes of their various week long meetings, and even has inserts like [applause] [laughter], etc. There were several hundred people in attendance, most of which were members of various church's and other Christian organizations. The most often seen name was that of a Doctor Rush. The Good Order of Templars even made an apperance. Nowhere in it did I see any representation to the likes of anyone from Spain, nor our well known Mr. Pemberton from Georgia. However, I did glean from it that there were other "events" going on in Philidelphia at the same time, some of which sounded like "Anti- Temperance" activities. There was no indication of awards or gold medals being presented at this event. I intend to scratch this one off the list and move on to the next.

[ These ongoing files are merely for future references and not intended to keep this thread alive ].

[ This is a picture of a protective cover - The original 1886 cover was not available to photo save ]

DA835FD7C0C342578E0E32F45C965CD0.jpg

Attachments

• DA835FD7C0C342578E0E32F45C965CD0.jpg
    DA835FD7C0C342578E0E32F45C965CD0.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 37

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
{{{{{{ In Conclusion }}}}}}

~ * ~

~ The Story in a Cola/Kola Nutshell ~

[/align]In 1880 three friends, Bautista Aparici, Ricardo Sanz and Enrique Ortiz, from the town of Aielo de Malferit, Spain, created a distillery ‘Destileria Ayelo’ which supplied the royal household and won several distinctions. It remains open today. 72 year old Juan Jose Mica of the same town in Spain claims that his great-great uncle invented the original formula in 1884, and sold the patent to the United States (1940-1953 ?) The drink they produced, made from kola nut strain and coca leaves from Peru, had a taste and colour similar to Coca-Cola, and was labelled ‘Nuez de Kola-Coca.' Destileria Ayelo visited a drinks conference in Philadelphia in 1885, the year before Coca-Cola was officially launched. In 1886 Coca-Cola was serving nine cokes a day from a single pharmacy in Atlanta, Georgia. Meanwhile, the Spanish drink had been patented, but it was common practice at the time to only accept patents when the item had proved to be popular, but wasn’t registered until 1903, almost 20 years after the U.S. version of Coca-Cola. Today the world consumes 1.7 billion Cokes a day. According to Coca Cola, credit for their secret recipe goes to a pharmacist named John Pemberton. In the 1940s Coke was trying to enter the Spanish market, but couldn't because of trademark laws. They allegedly had to buy the ‘Cola Coca’ name from Destileria Ayelo first because of the similarity. Coke paid them the equivalent of about €1,100, a small fortune at the time, according to the current owner, Juan Jose Mica, but there is no paperwork to prove this in Ayelo or with the Coca Cola Company. The factory changed the name of its award-winning drink from Cola Coca to Cola Nut Coca around that time and added alcohol. To this day, Juan Jose Mica claims to have a recipe book dated 1881 with their own ‘secret’ recipe handwritten in Valenciano.[/align] [/align]

~ * ~

I Do Believe ...

(Based on personal research)

1 ... that the Mica family believes their claim.
2 ... that the Family did have a similar product as early as 1885/86.
3 ... that the Family did receive awards for their product.
4 ... that one of those awards 'may' have been presented in Philadelphia in 1885.

I Do Not Believe ...

1 ... there is sufficent evidence at present to support the Families claim as being 100% true.

I Do Not "Want" To Believe ...

1 ... that a Christian Family would lie about such a claim.

[ Picture of bottle below from a Spanish website and described as antique ]

{ Notice the Gold Medal Awards on the Label }

~ Thanks to everyone ~

SODAPOPBOB

8C79266EFD0145CC979D72FB3B3A1BB7.jpg

Attachments

• 8C79266EFD0145CC979D72FB3B3A1BB7.jpg
    8C79266EFD0145CC979D72FB3B3A1BB7.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 56

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
~ Sole Proprietor - circa 1886 ~

AA62E3CC111E46998B8775267A8DF078.jpg

Attachments

• AA62E3CC111E46998B8775267A8DF078.jpg
    AA62E3CC111E46998B8775267A8DF078.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 80

GuntherHess

Reaction score
The fomula for coke isnt secret, it is ...

1 oz (28 g) caffeine citrate
3 oz (85 g) citric acid
1 US fl oz (30 ml; 1 imp fl oz) vanilla extract
1 US qt (946 ml; 33 imp fl oz) lime juice
2.5 oz (71 g) "flavoring," i.e., "Merchandise 7X"
30 lb (14 kg) sugar
6 oz rat turds
4 US fl oz (118.3 ml; 4.2 imp fl oz) powder extract of cocaine (decocainized flavor essence of the coca leaf).
2.5 US gal (9.5 l; 2.1 imp gal) water
caramel color

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
GuntherHess ~

Thank you!

The operative words in the last sentence of the story are ...

"their own"

To this day, Juan Jose Mica claims to have a recipe book dated 1881 with their own ‘secret’ recipe handwritten in Valenciano.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
The following message is addressed to the Mica family in particular, and to all individuals worldwide.

In the event that you come upon this forum thread and choose to express your support regarding this topic, in that you do believe that the original formula for Coca Cola was invented in Spain, I wish to respond by saying that I respect your right to believe what you want. Some people believe in Bigfoot, Flying Saucers, and various other phenomenon, which I personally do not. But iregardless of my own personal beliefs, I still respect "everyones" rights to believe what they want. I only ask that should anyone ever expect others to believe the same things, that those individuals provide sufficent evidence to support their claims.

Thank you.

SPBOB

fishnuts

Reaction score
But, Wheelah, those are Spanish Rat Turds.
Enclosed, please find the rare photograph of the very rare flowering top of the Rat Turd plant.
As you can see, it only blooms at night and only in a tiny remote vale in Valencia. I think the vale is called Jerry.
It is said that the lovliness of the bloom is only exceeded by the vileness of it's aroma which some say is like...well, a rat turd. Hence the name.
Legends tells us the story of how Chico Esquela (who's great great grandson became a baseball player for the Mets and later a commentor on SNL) became lost in Jerry vale (even thought it was tiny, Chico wasn't very smart) and stumbled upon this exotic plant. He brought some of the seed home and began growing them in earnest because of their beauty. Unfortunately when he later took the rare blooms he had grown to the marketplace everyone remarked how, indeed, that they were beautiful but that they, and poor Chico, now smelled like rat turds. He became a social pariah (his wife, became a mariah)
Angered by his people's reaction, Chico vowed revenge. Smelling of rat turd he retreated to Jerry vale and lived his life as a botanist hermit. If only he could have lived to see the day when his magnificent Rat Turds would be a key ingredient in, of all things, Coca Cola!

Sorry, couldn't help myself...

C3C71D4CAC00418AB43E8DF5FF4F243C.jpg

Attachments

• C3C71D4CAC00418AB43E8DF5FF4F243C.jpg
    C3C71D4CAC00418AB43E8DF5FF4F243C.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 55

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Hey fishnuts ~

Can you "prove" that's a rat turd flower? It look like a "sunflower" to me! I have several of them growing in my backyard right now!

Sorry - I couldn't help myself! Lol [:D]

Thanks,

SPBOB

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora