Was this a purple J&IEM ink? or was it the ink on the inside

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottles_inc

Reaction score
Here's a lot of inks I was bidding on. The labelled Diamond turtle ink is nice and I liked the paneled ink in the back, but my main interest was the J & IEM on the right. It looks like it might be purple. I know that there's some pretty rare J & IEM variants out there, but there's only maybe 1 or 2 pics on the internet of the amber ones and none of the cobalt, so I didn't have any to compare to. I was worried that the color could be from the ink on the inside, like the black one on the far left in the first pic. With only 2 pictures to go off of, I didn't want to gamble too much and stopped bidding in the high 300s. If it is truly purple glass, the high bidder made off like a highway robber. What do you think?
inks.jpg

insk2.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I'm certain it's aqua glass with purple ink inside. The purple comes to a distinct edge where the contents would have been and then is much lighter above that, and not visible at all on the neck which is clearly aqua. You can also see the edge of the base as aqua in the lower right of the bottle in the second picture. I think you did well by not bidding any higher.

bottles_inc

Reaction score
I'm certain it's aqua glass with purple ink inside. The purple comes to a distinct edge where the contents would have been and then is much lighter above that, and not visible at all on the neck which is clearly aqua. You can also see the edge of the base as aqua in the lower right of the bottle in the second picture. I think you did well by not bidding any higher.
The light neck definitely put me off it. The amber examples I saw had dark necks

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I see that alot in inks. Was purple that popular of an ink color in victorian times? I always thought it was black ink turning color over the century in the soil. I have seen ones with a partial label ghost and it was a purple ink labeled as such. Maybe a new color ink introduced at the time.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I see that alot in inks. Was purple that popular of an ink color in victorian times? I always thought it was black ink turning color over the century in the soil. I have seen ones with a partial label ghost and it was a purple ink labeled as such. Maybe a new color ink introduced at the time.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
I don't remember seeing many Victorian letters written in purple ink before. I feel that a lot of the time it is due to colour change but I'm not certain. Interesting that you found one actually marked as purple.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
A deep maroon was definitely a popular 2nd half of the 19th Century/later Victorian color. Purple not as much. In inks??? --CT Len

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Yes, If memory serves, textiles like clothes, drapes, etc. --Thanks RB.
--CT Len

saratogadriver

Reaction score
VIolet. popular victorian color for love letters has always been my understanding. Back when people still corresponded in writing, perfumed their letters etc. There are perfumed inks out there as well.

In the lineup of value, the diamond turtle and the sided one behind it, if pontiled, are the most valuable of those inks. The really stained label looks interesting if you can read it... doesn't look like one I've seen before. The Moore would be next to last value then the plain umbrella. Don't know what they are trying to get for the lot. I'd be interested in either of the labeled turtles.

Jim G

bottles_inc

Reaction score
VIolet. popular victorian color for love letters has always been my understanding. Back when people still corresponded in writing, perfumed their letters etc. There are perfumed inks out there as well.

In the lineup of value, the diamond turtle and the sided one behind it, if pontiled, are the most valuable of those inks. The really stained label looks interesting if you can read it... doesn't look like one I've seen before. The Moore would be next to last value then the plain umbrella. Don't know what they are trying to get for the lot. I'd be interested in either of the labeled turtles.

Jim G
Auction is already over. Went for 380. There was also a 1850s table teacher's bell and maybe 6 or 7 old nib ink pens in the lot. When I was picking up some other bottles I bought the auctioneer mentioned that the ink lady had said she didn't want the bell and that the auctioneer could keep it if she wanted! Wish I was around then I would've made her an offer

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky