Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Weird mineral creek find.

DFW Digger

Oct 10, 2018
2ft by 3ft 2inches thick. Dug out of clay bank in dallas. Thought it was petrified wood planks, after car wash realized it some mineral. Any rocks hound on here. Thinking calcite maybe. Debating on going back after the rest. Almost looks like 3D NYC (Big City)Painting.

Attachments

willong

Apr 22, 2009
Port Angeles, WA
2ft by 3ft 2inches thick. Dug out of clay bank in dallas. Thought it was petrified wood planks, after car wash realized it some mineral. Any rocks hound on here. Thinking calcite maybe. Debating on going back after the rest. Almost looks like 3D NYC (Big City)Painting.
Asbestos, maybe? Be careful until you know for sure! I'd bag it and check with a geology professor at your local college.

EDIT: Not likely asbestos if it is real hard like a "rock."

DFW Digger

Oct 10, 2018
Thanks for the reply not much asbestos In texas, i am a licensed inspector and manager for it. Going for my recert test tomorrow. We do have mica and pyrite around. But i think calcite as it was found in limestone creek. I keep samples too in the flower bed.

willong

Apr 22, 2009
Port Angeles, WA
I love find cool mineral rocks and geodes when digging! I have a spot for them in my cabnet next to some bottles. Your rocks look very interesting.
That's a dandy assortment! I noticed the shark teeth right off. Are the two adjacent ring-shaped items fishing weights?
Did you find the geodes in FL also?
Nice cabinet too.

Last edited:

DFW Digger

Oct 10, 2018
Thank you Dave and free range. There is a talc and limestone mine 45 miles from the spot. So y'all maybe right one the money. It displays very well in the flower garden. Hope it holds up to the elements. Thanks Sam

ROBBYBOBBY64

Jan 11, 2020
New Jersey
Looks like quartz. This is honey calcite. Cut in half and polished on one side.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
20200628_082012.jpg
20200628_082029.jpg

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Venor_Thesaurus