Welch's Grape Juice Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nym9nyj7

Reaction score
Thanks for that article, Surface, this is all starting to make sense now!

After reading it, I was confused as to how you connected the Winslow Glass Company to Owens-Illinois. So I searched and came up with this (not sure if you're as interested as I am, but I'll include the snip-it anyway):

In 1904 the Berney Glass Company and the Bond Glass Company merged to form the Berney-Bond Glass Company, which, in 1927, bought the Winslow Glass Company. Just three years later, however, it was the Owens-Illinios Glass Company that bought the Berney-Bond Glass Company and all of its plants.

Thus, my bottle could not have been made before 1930, because the Columbus, Ohio O-I plant did not exist until then. According to the second article I found, all O-I bottles made at the Columbus plant between 1930 and 1945 were only identified with a single number in the date area. However, in 1946, the Columbus plant began to use double-digits. Thus, as Jim said, the bottle HAS to have been made in 1936. [:)]

On a side note, the article I found also says that bottles produced at the Columbus plant have been found with date codes as late as '48. This is a year later than the diagram above says they were "switched" and two years later than the Business First article suggests they were converted. I'm sure somewhere between the three of them the truth doth lie. [:)]

Anywho, here are some shots of my bottle!

Attachments

• FC349D1C99C84930A7529A81AD476841.jpg
    FC349D1C99C84930A7529A81AD476841.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 91

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello nym9nyj7; I am not quite sure what imperfection you are seeing. I have to assume it is the waviness of the bottle heal glass. The picture really is confusing to me, but it that is what I think it is, it looks like impaired air venting in that area of the mold. This can happen when a mold starts to have swabbing oil build up on the venting slots of knife filed vents. What does a straight on bottom picture show? RED Matthews

nym9nyj7

Reaction score
Hey Red,

Thanks for your expertise! That's exactly what I was pointing out. When I had the bottle standing up on a table, and I was crouched down to take a photo at the same level, I noticed that the inside floor of the bottle was deformed with roughly 1/4 of it (left side of the photo) being lower than the other 3/4. Was just curious as to how that could have come to be and you answered my question - thanks!!!

On a different note, I thought the label was in pretty good shape (see photo 4), until I noticed those little dots (see photo 3). Are those something that would have been done on purpose by the bottler, or is it something that was just done by some person sometime during the past 75 years?

PattyJubin

Reaction score
I'm new to collecting, and one of my first purchases, at a tag sale, was an empty Welch's Grape Juice Bottle. For lack of a better photO, it's the exact same bottle as shown in this advertisement:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-magazi...673?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d324b1fd1

I've searched high and low, but unfortunatly I haven't even seen a real photo of this bottle online, let alone found any information on it. Can anyone help?

THANKS!! [:)]

P.S. The last label copyright date on the bottle is '36, although I am at work, so I can't be 100% certain of that. I do know, however, that it's 1930-something.
funny, i am just now labeling my bottles and ran across a welches. old bottle. the top is lopsided so i am assuming its quite old. also it has an F or a P on the bottom of bottle. I do not see any other marking from owens glass company or any other company. The glass is very thick and i can barely see the name Welchs grape juice on the bottle. It has a rectangle around the name.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum