Went to pick up firewood and this happened!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
Yeah, That is the first one. I'm very very familiar with that RB website but have not been on there much in past 3+ Years so I missed that Post. Odd that the guy was offered $1,000 for the can, turned it down, thought he'd get more on ebay & only got $350 on ebay? I would of paid $350 for it myself.

P.S. SO, you'll know what to look for if you see one. good luck, tough can to find.

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
P.S. SO, you'll know what to look for if you see one. good luck, tough can to find.

Around the same time the zip was listed for sale, a nice indoor example early OI Iron City went through as well, I think it brought close to 8 grand.... ;)

hemihampton

Reaction score
I missed that one. I got a Dumper.
IronCity.JPG

dlea

Reaction score
Being from the South, I was thinking Duke mayonnaise! (until I read further) LOL

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
I've been digging very near where I found these bottles but because of where I found this bunch I had never dug the area before because it's really close the the landowners house. His son lives close by and they share the same driveway until where it splits off to go to each house, they own the land right behind me. The son had a huge oak tree branch come down right across his driveway and Thursday morning I helped him cut it up as he was giving me the firewood from it. I opted to take a slightly different route heading back for another load of wood on my wheeler when I noticed a pretty big spot with broken and unbroken glass bottles. It was actually really close to the behemoth Oak tree that the monster size branch fell out of just over the hill from it. Hauled back the load of wood then called the son and he said dig away!...lol, this was the result so far, over 40 embossed Duke Glass Cans, and just many slicks, 4 Duke quarts from '65 with lids, and one pry cap quart slick from '64, I have labels lined up for the quarts already, I only kept the quart 7up to compare it to one I have already...... :p View attachment 239082View attachment 239083View attachment 239084View attachment 239085View attachment 239086View attachment 239087View attachment 239088
WOW! That tree must be a monster. I'll bet its about 125-150 years old. It's size might have acted as a magnet to gather under and drink Duke, etc.! The neighbor's son in the tree(?) looks comparatively small, but happy. Keep us posted about future finds. Congrats from me and a friend to most, John Wayne.:)

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
WOW! That tree must be a monster. I'll bet its about 125-150 years old. It's size might have acted as a magnet to gather under and drink Duke, etc.! The neighbor's son in the tree(?) looks comparatively small, but happy. Keep us posted about future finds. Congrats from me and a friend to most, John Wayne.:)

Yes, the tree is a monster but been there long before the Duke dump arrived, although I may refer to it as the "Duke Tree" from now on!...lol.... I need to measure around it's base someday, but just guessing I'd say 30' or so!, that's a friend of the the son in the tree, he came to help but we had already knocked it out well before he got there. Still want to find the Silver Top variant in the wild, I do have three of those but still would like to find some outdoors someday. They must have been giving the Duke away back in '65 as I've found quite a few even before this find, not even sure exactly if the Silver Top variant was available in my area (northeast Ohio), I did see one listed for sale on Marketplace a few months back in the East Liverpool area about an hour south of me that was a outdoor found one.

Attachments

• 202368-7b4c7d32eafba2cc9620dbccc73eb2e6.jpg
    202368-7b4c7d32eafba2cc9620dbccc73eb2e6.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 71

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Yes, the tree is a monster but been there long before the Duke dump arrived, although I may refer to it as the "Duke Tree" from now on!...lol.... I need to measure around it's base someday, but just guessing I'd say 30' or so!, that's a friend of the the son in the tree, he came to help but we had already knocked it out well before he got there. Still want to find the Silver Top variant in the wild, I do have three of those but still would like to find some outdoors someday. They must have been giving the Duke away back in '65 as I've found quite a few even before this find, not even sure exactly if the Silver Top variant was available in my area (northeast Ohio), I did see one listed for sale on Marketplace a few months back in the East Liverpool area about an hour south of me that was a outdoor found one.
Hey RR,
Thirty feet! Wow! Probably an Ohio state record. ( I'll guess about 15'.) There's a pretty fair formula for determining age for most species using your technique. I believe your "Duke" tree is either a maple or an oak. Please keep us posted on that upcoming measurement. Thanks. --CT Len

Last edited:

RoseOnTheRocks

Reaction score
I've been digging very near where I found these bottles but because of where I found this bunch I had never dug the area before because it's really close the the landowners house. His son lives close by and they share the same driveway until where it splits off to go to each house, they own the land right behind me. The son had a huge oak tree branch come down right across his driveway and Thursday morning I helped him cut it up as he was giving me the firewood from it. I opted to take a slightly different route heading back for another load of wood on my wheeler when I noticed a pretty big spot with broken and unbroken glass bottles. It was actually really close to the behemoth Oak tree that the monster size branch fell out of just over the hill from it. Hauled back the load of wood then called the son and he said dig away!...lol, this was the result so far, over 40 embossed Duke Glass Cans, and just many slicks, 4 Duke quarts from '65 with lids, and one pry cap quart slick from '64, I have labels lined up for the quarts already, I only kept the quart 7up to compare it to one I have already...... :p View attachment 239082View attachment 239083View attachment 239084View attachment 239085View attachment 239086

HOLY HAUL!!! Impressive work!! I opened your post not expecting to see so many bottles, amazing.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora