Western Iowa dump digger/new member

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

willong

Reaction score
Have not seen the Hutch book, there is a large Iowa bottle book which includes the Ida Grove specimen. The only Michigan bottle that comes to mind immediately is a Battle Creek MI Sanitarium bottle. I am sure we may have dug others. We catalogue our embossed bottles by company or product name rather than by city/state otherwise I would have a better answer. Thanks
Awesome digging! Sounds like a relational database is in order.

I thoroughly appreciate what you are doing. Such a property would be a dream acquisition for me as long as it had other amenities I sought. I bought a place in Montana that I've only gotten to visit a couple times since late 2020. I don't expect anything like a dump, but I am hoping to make a few random finds (other than broken insulators from generations of vandals shooting them off the old telephone/telegraph line that parallels the RR right-of-way crossing the property) when I get to working on the place.

Welcome to Antique-Bottles.net!

digginidiot

Reaction score
yeah, hey thanks. Traditionally we hunt artifacts, prehistoric bison skulls, rocks, fossils etc etc but this has been great. It is winding down but we will go for a couple years yet. Good luck with that Montana spot, we are envious.

digginidiot

Reaction score
Have you looked the Iowa Hutches listed/pictured on Hutchbook.com Just curious if your familiar with this website. Do you know if you have any Michigan Bottles in your Collection? Curious as I collect Michigan bottles. LEON.

P.S. What is your goal?
Forgot to answer your question about our goal. It's a few different things. We want to have fun, and we are. Documenting and preserving local history is important to us. In the end it is all about the thrill of discovery and what we can learn from what we find. Every once in a while we just have to stand back look at all of this we have recovered from the dump in a very small Iowa town.

Jim Keim

Reaction score
Do you have any Milk Bottles in this collection? thank you

digginidiot

Reaction score
Yes but not a lot, as usual the user returned them to be re-filled so complete ones are hard to come by. Most we find are of a more generic nature, no town or dairys identified.

willong

Reaction score
Can I come visit???
We can share the ride and fuel expense if you get permission!

(Iowa was one of the first states for which I found good historical maps, other than Sanborn Insurance Maps, available online. Unfortunately, that happened after I transferred back to WA from a position I had for a couple years based at Fort Snelling, MN.)

digginidiot

Reaction score
We don't have a problem with visitors, but we don't let anyone dig, we don't sell anything we find except for scrap metal. I would want you to fully understand what and how much we display, that is a long way to drive. Can I get contact info from you?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac