What’s the best product ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Which one ?

• Wood bleach

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Bar Keepers Friend

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • The Works

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
I have a option of Wood Bleech, Bar Keepers Friend, and The Works. What is the best for general cleaning ? I’m not talking about ACL bottles by the way.

Mailman1960

Reaction score
I have a option of Wood Bleech, Bar Keepers Friend, and The Works. What is the best for general cleaning ? I’m not talking about ACL bottles by the way.
I think I tried everything possible, and aside from tumbling, dish soap,spong,and soft bottle brush is going clean it as good as anything. Almost forget lot of elbow grease.

Mailman1960

Reaction score
I think I tried everything possible, and aside from tumbling, dish soap,spong,and soft bottle brush is going clean it as good as anything. Almost forget lot of elbow grease.
I'm not saying something else won't clean it better, and if you find it please let me know

Attachments

• 20210829_185337.jpg
    20210829_185337.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 110

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
I'm not saying something else won't clean it better, and if you find it please let me know
Get a plastic tall skinny pitcher. Fill the pitcher with 95% water (preferably distilled). Mix: Oxalic acid (such a BFK), alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, dish soap, salt (dissolved by heating over stove), vinegar, and Clorox. Please be conservative with the vinegar and Clorox as mixing the two in high quantities will create a dangerous vapor. This solution will remove: algae, dirt, and mineral deposits. The more acidic, the better.

Mailman1960

Reaction score
Get a plastic tall skinny pitcher. Fill the pitcher with 95% water (preferably distilled). Mix: Oxalic acid (such a BFK), alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, dish soap, salt (dissolved by heating over stove), vinegar, and Clorox. Please be conservative with the vinegar and Clorox as mixing the two in high quantities will create a dangerous vapor. This solution will remove: algae, dirt, and mineral deposits. The more acidic, the better.
WOW, how did you come up with that. I'll get my Haz Mat suit together.

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
WOW, how did you come up with that. I'll get my Haz Mat suit together.
All of this stuff was things around the house. My goal was to make it as acidic as I could. Unless you have some kind of skin problem, you won’t need gloves. Just wash your hands right after you put the bottle down. Rinse the bottle and clean with a toothbrush. ALSO, the same mixture can be used MANY times. No need to dump it out after the first use.

East_Tn_Bottle_Guy

Reaction score
I used soft scrub w/ bleach for one I had. It soaked for about a week. Turned out crystal clear. It was a small bottle with globs of gunk in the bottom corners. Not sure how well it would do for more built up gunk. Just have to rinse out/quick clean where the top of the liquid was (it leaves some slight residue)

bottle-o-pop

Reaction score
I use a brass wire brushes with short enough bristles that it easily fits into a pop bottle. If it's real brass, and not brass-covered steel, it won't scratch glass because brass is not as hard as glass.

Similarly, Bar Keepers Friend is made with grains of scouring material that are not as hard as glass, so they won't be able to actually scratch the glass.

I have found that I prefer covering one of my brass brushes with a half-inch wide cut strip of a thin plastic cleaning pad. I wrap the strip over the end of my brass brush and then wrap around it with string, like wrapping up a ham or turkey. Just before inserting it into a bottle, I wet it for flexibility, and then rub it in a pile of bar keepers friend to coat it. I bent my brush into an arc shape which is easy to get into the bottle, and can then reach the inside surfaces of the bottle.

I then rinse the bottle and inspect it to see if I missed any places. Then I insert the scouring pad - covered brush with a bit more bar keepers friend and re-scrub any missed spots.

For those very few that don't know it already, for many bottles that were buried in the ground for a long time, some of the glass will be corroded away by the chemicals in the ground. It might look a bit hazy or frosty. Of course, NO amount of cleaning will bring back the microscopic amounts of glass that were corroded away!

If a seller says "needs a bit of cleaning", it often means that they found it impossible to clean, for this reason.

Of course, a bottle polishing done by a bottle-polishing machine with (harder than glass) microscopic abrasives and copper bits will re-smooth the glass by removing a tiny bit more of the glass in a controlled manner.

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score

I do have something I mix up, that’s really a great cleaner…. On bottles too, now! Stains on cloths, it’s so awesome on everything, that gets rinsed… windows, not so much. 1 hell of a all purpose cleaner and it kills germs and won’t bleach out your cloths or you black beamers tires or rims. Goes like this, but IF you try this, be prepared to always make it. It’s just as good and better, even, than the best cleaners (& I’m kind of a cleaner snob!). In a spray bottle, grab your trusty funnel…. 2/3rds hydrogen peroxide, FIRST, Or you will have a big bubbly mess. Then 1/3 BLUE Dawn dish soap. Just eyeball that, is what I do. Done! This stuff is amazing! Around here it’s known as “Kats Kickass Kleaner” (No affiliation with the kkk!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown