What a pretty lill bottle I found....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
I just pulled this out of the boxes of estate sale stuff. It was so dirty, that I really couldn’t tell what it was! My really good cleaner that I make, really cleaned it up! (1/3 blue dawn detergent +2/3 hydrogen peroxide=magic,for laundry stains, bmw tires,walls, any thing and everything- omg- mildew!! And now bottles) I think this might be my first sample bottle, at least 1 that says sample! It’s in such nice condition. Love it when they clean up like purrrrrfect.
afe336aa8e1b165d09eba88795a3ebdf.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Nice find! Never seen a sample of one of these before. In fact I'm not sure I can remember seeing a sample bitters before at all.

Cheryl_CA

Reaction score
Sweet! Any photo's of the bottom of the bottle?

Found this info.....18% alcohol....bet it sold Very Well.

Date around 1933?

DESCRIPTION The indications or uses for this product as provided by the manufacturer are: The Original Tonic Laxative Bitters. Known and used for over 40 years in constipation, biliousness, indigestion, headaches, and loss of appetite, arising from imperfect digestion or inactive liver or bowels.
PLACE MADE: United States: Illinois, Chicago
PLACE MADE United States: New Jersey

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
Nice find! Never seen a sample of one of these before. In fact I'm not sure I can remember seeing a sample bitters before at all.

Me either, but really wonder about some of my small bottles that are not all the opium bottles that I find around the pre 1860 rock Chinese slave foundations on my wilderness property.
96d6996a2ede729f90e705300f2b2ece.jpg

1a5bd0be0cc64b60e71070d86c30c99e.jpg

3cfe3b35457d5628efe6a0d30019ddd7.jpg

The 2 green ones were out at the creek- Chinese opium. I think the center one is either iodine or perfume maybe? But the 5 dirty ones, I wonder if they could be sample bottles?

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Me either, but really wonder about some of my small bottles that are not all the opium bottles that I find around the pre 1860 rock Chinese slave foundations on my wilderness property.
96d6996a2ede729f90e705300f2b2ece.jpg

1a5bd0be0cc64b60e71070d86c30c99e.jpg

3cfe3b35457d5628efe6a0d30019ddd7.jpg

The 2 green ones were out at the creek- Chinese opium. I think the center one is either iodine or perfume maybe? But the 5 dirty ones, I wonder if they could be sample bottles?

Second from the left is Chinese as well, they're actually medicine bottles rather than opium bottles, at least not opium intended for smoking. Opium came in cans. The others I'm not sure about, they could have been anything really. I don't remember ever seeing a labeled sample bottle without embossing before but that doesn't mean they don't exist. It's more likely that they were simply products which one would not have used much of though. A lot of medicine bottles are just inherently small, and plenty of household products like perfume or paint came in small bottles as well. The middle one looks similar to dental cement bottles that I've seen but could have been for multiple things.

Wildcat Wrangling Kat

Reaction score

Date around 1933?

DESCRIPTION The indications or uses for this product as provided by the manufacturer are: The Original Tonic Laxative Bitters. Known and used for over 40 years in constipation, biliousness, indigestion, headaches, and loss of appetite, arising from imperfect digestion or inactive liver or bowels.

Date around 1933?

4f821a66ed3ec84f7d439009960f935e.jpg

9f63eb988ac10fe09d54b80671ee7e4f.jpg

c1b435c5109d2079248faa70dd7dcc4c.jpg

495200bd98080124655e769bd9558e6d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildcat Wrangling Kat

Reaction score

I’ve never seen a bottle labeled sample! I do wonder about some of the small ones I have here? like the small dirty ones that are just borrowing the light here. (I’ll move them! )

e1712107711bfba143944473ed9b19b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I'm pretty certain that one with the funny ground top is dental cement now that I can see it better. The little amber one looks modern, not sure about the squat one, and the one with the flared lip in back looks quite a bit older than the others.

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
Second from the left is Chinese as well, they're actually medicine bottles rather than opium bottles, at least not opium intended for smoking. Opium came in cans. The others I'm not sure about, they could have been anything really. I don't remember ever seeing a labeled sample bottle without embossing before but that doesn't mean they don't exist. It's more likely that they were simply products which one would not have used much of though. A lot of medicine bottles are just inherently small, and plenty of household products like perfume or paint came in small bottles as well. The middle one looks similar to dental cement bottles that I've seen but could have been for multiple things.

Someone needs to tell the Joss House museum because they think those are opium bottles! I actually cleaned them- citric acid works so well, I was happy to see. They were so Grodi that I didn’t even know there was some embossing under the dirt! Really I am waiting to find the gold the Chinese gold miners had stashed around out there- when they were so rudely ran out in the middle of the night and either they made it, or were killed, right there, by the white miners, in 1860. Nice to find a massacre like that went down on property ya own! I never have nightmares, except for when I sleep out there- and that was before I discovered it’s history.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu