What cities are known to have pontiled druggist bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Sodasandbeers

Reaction score
I think Philly should beat New York on Pontiled druggists. I have over 190 listed pontiled druggists bottles and over 275 pontiled medicines listed. Philly was a center of Pharmacy in the 1800s. Almost as many medicine type bottles as there are sode and beer bottles.

sandchip

Reaction score
Dadgum! That should keep this thread going for a long time!

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
Here's another one to keep things going. This one fell out of an attic during work on a house on College St. in Macon sometime in the early 80s, and far as I know remains unique. Edward Linser Strohecker also served as mayor of Macon in the early 1850s.

how tall is that bottle? thanks.

DruggistBottles

Reaction score
Along those lines… what books or other publications have listings for pontiled medicines and druggists? I know Jim Holst has something. Anyone know his latest version? I think I have 3rd addition from back in the 90s. I plan to so a separate thread on bottles books (if there is not already one). I was curious how many states and cities have a book out [I have ones for Illinois, Iowa, Ohio, Kansas, Washington D.C. Hawaii, and I think a few others.]

Sodasandbeers

Reaction score
The list of Philly pontiled meds and druggists is private right now. It has three owners with a lot of invested time in it. The info is slated for a book on pontiled Philadelphia bottles. Research continues, but too many pontiled Philly bottles keep coming up.

doublecollar

Reaction score
I remember there being a pontiled bitters from San Antonio, Texas listed in Bill Ham's Bitters Bottles book.

I've spent countless hours trying to uncover unknown Virginia pontiled medicines (excluding those from modern day West Virginia), and researching the ones I know to exist. I will not share specifics, as I am also working on a publication, but I can tell you that there are at least 43 pontiled medicines, including druggists, from the state of Virginia. Many are known from just a single example. The search continues.

DruggistBottles

Reaction score
Good luck to all of you doing research. Let us know when you publish! I know how much work can go into such efforts. I have helped do some research for others. Aside from collecting bottles I collect books on bottles too. One day I will do my own publication. I have a few topics in mind. In the mean time I appreciate all the information people have been sharing on this post. I know I will never end up with many of those shown, but it is still good to know what might be out there. As long as I know that one pontiled druggist exist for a state I will keep it on my wish list. And I think others are enjoying seeing some beautiful bottles that we normally would not be able to see.

sandchip

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

Here's another one to keep things going. This one fell out of an attic during work on a house on College St. in Macon sometime in the early 80s, and far as I know remains unique. Edward Linser Strohecker also served as mayor of Macon in the early 1850s.

how tall is that bottle? thanks.

7.5"

baltbottles

Reaction score
There are 119 different pontiled medicines from Baltimore but only 31 are embossed with druggists, pharmacist, or chemist. Most of those being Davis and Millers.

Chris

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94