What cities are known to have pontiled druggist bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dollarbill

Reaction score
Just had to say what a nice bottle that is Cliff. I don't beleve I,ve seen that one before ,I did see some pics of Jim's OP SS which is another nice bottle.Wanted to ask to if there was a op Wood,s Druggist from Maysville to.Also were would you guess those to be produced.I,ve read there were some bottle producers in Maysville early but have never seen any bottle that were truly known to have been produced by them.
Agian thanks for the show.
Bill

midway49

Reaction score
Accounts suggest a glass works in Maysville about ca 1818, but no glass has been attributed to them. Seaton & Sharpe are the only known pontiled Maysville druggists.

DruggistBottles

Reaction score
Rhode Island:
According to the bottle book on Rhode Island (http://littlerhodybottleclub.org/bottlebook/abofri.html) there are two pontiled druggists from the state.

RI-0167 CHAPIN & THURBER / APOTHECARIES / NO. 31 MARKET St. / PROVIDENCE
oval
open pontil
aqua
4-3/8", 7-1/8", 7-1/2"
photo

RI-0477 A. MORSE / DRUGGIST / PROV. R.I.
rectangular with large bevelled corners
iron pontil
aqua
9-1/2"
photo

DruggistBottles

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: DruggistBottles

ORIGINAL: appliedlips

What pontilled Illinois druggists do you have? Would love to see any from the Metro area. Thanks

Illinois has few pontiled bottles with the words "druggist" embossed on the glass. I am hopeful more will turn up. I had always assumed there were more. However, when the "Bottled in Illinois" book came out last year I only saw one (I still need to go through all 792 pgs). This is an exhaustive survey of Illinois bottles from 1840 - 1880. It is a great reference book. There are pontiled bottles from druggists - just not ones clearly marked as such. A few years back when I made up my mind to primarily collect ones marked "druggist". I let go a very rare druggist from Springfield - OP R. W. DILLER // SPRINGFIELD, IL // TURNER'S // LOTION. If I knew then how rare ones marked druggist were I would have kept it.

Right now the pontiled bottles I have related to Illinois druggist are the following (all open pontil):

A & M LINDSAY // LINIMENT (Springfield 1840's)
W.B FARRELLS / ARABIAGN / LINIMENT (Chicago)
H. G. FARRELLS / ARABIAN / LINIMENT / PEORIA
H.G. FARRELL // PEORIA ILL (1840s)

The only druggist I saw in the book on Illinois bottles is:
R & J. HOCKENHULL // DRUGGIST // JACKSONVILLE // ILLS. 5 3/8" Aqua OP

I have no whole medicines from the Metro area (St. Clair county Illinois near St. Louis). However, I do have a broken pontiled Indian Balm from my hometown. I also have some pieces to a hinge mold medicine from Belleville. I will post that in a new thread I am going to start this weekend on Heart Breakers. Attached is a picture of most of my Farrell bottles.

Ok, it took me a bit longer than I thought to find the pieces to my Metro East (St. Clair Co. IL - Across from St. Louis) medicines. I have posted them on a great thread about Heartbreakers. I have also posted many other bottles to that thread. Not for the faint of heart...

DruggistBottles

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Plumbata

Not a druggist, but one heckuva bottle from Texas:

"Prices Patent Texas Tonic - Republic of Texas"
38A6FD26790D43F4B2ACB29B0204DFAD.jpg

Technically, Texas was a separate country at the time so I dunno if you would count it even if it was a druggist. One on eBay sold for 10,000 a year or so ago. Not a surprise, as the bottle is uber rare and loaded with history. Probably my #1 pontil were I intent on collecting them.

I did a little research on the Texas Tonic. In the process I learned about some early pontiled era druggists

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky