What do you collect for milks?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JohnDeereMoxie

Reaction score
That 3 cent bottle is awesome, never seen one like it. The local bottles are definitely the hardest to find as I have found out, especially when you live in a small town. But that's the most fun is looking for them and meeting the people along the journey. It is a great hobby. Then you have guys that remember the dairy or worked for it, telling stories of the by gone era. It's good stuff haha

bottlerocket

Reaction score
I am a newbie but I have several locals. I enjoy finding them and researching about the dairies that sold their product in them. All the ones I have, the dairies are long gone which it what makes them collectable.

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Thanks JDM. I was very lucky to get this bottle, It was on display and said NFS!! I met the owner which happened to be the Grandson and he told me the history of the dairy as well as he used to work there when he was just a child. He was so impressed by my interest in the bottle and was glad to have someone listen to his story he offered to give me the bottle to share the history of his Fathers and Grandfathers hard work. I refused to take it for free and made him a fair offer. This was a school bottle in the 50's. Not this one, this was never used, It came from his personal collection. Westover Dairy bought them out in the 60's if I remember correctly? They still own the property, Prime land here now. He said he can remember thousands of milks being buried on the property years ago, But won't let anyone dig there. This is a great thread even though I have 5 local milks and 5 different Va. milks.

JohnDeereMoxie

Reaction score
Nice blackvelvet, i love stuff like that. I didn't start as milks, in fact at one point I remember telling my girlfriend I didn't see what the big deal was with them. Then one day searching my town on eBay I found an awesome bottle for sale from a dairy long gone. I ended up winning the auction and then I became obsessed with getting every single dairy from my town. So far I have 14 bottles, 5 are from the same dairy but there are 3 quarts, a pint, and a half pint from that 1 dairy. I've met a lot of people looking for my town's bottles and I have people keeping an eye out for me. My ultimate goal is to get all the dairies together right a history about all of them and display them at the annual fair with our historic memorabilia when our "museum" is finished. It was an old post office we put on the fair grounds to show the history of the fair in. Man, to dig that place he won't let anyone dig, that would be amazing haha.

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Thanks JDM. I have seen one of the half pint like mine on e-bay with very little pyro and the 3 cent was gone sold for 150.00 I have a nice Adams Mass Quart milk I'll give you a good deal on if interested Zieminskis dairy exellent shape! let me know. Thanks kevin..

Attachments

• 54ac41b5e6bf4a3e8a78fd9339722e81.jpg
    54ac41b5e6bf4a3e8a78fd9339722e81.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 86

JohnDeereMoxie

Reaction score
Don't have room for that one Kevin haha. I'm heavily focusing on my Westport/Acoaxet collection. If you know anyone that might have one let me know. And that's crazy about that price, yours is probably worth double that, or whatever someone is willing to pay haha. I have to admit this thread is pretty cool, I love hearing the stories people have about their milk collections, I feel like milk collections can be very personal. That and sodas my Moxie collection was inspired by my love for Moxie and my grandmother's love for Moxie. So it's cool haha.

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
I have one ACL Moxie from Saco, Maine 7 oz. bottled by seal rock bottling Co. has the # s 3146 & 56 on the bottom. The ACL is orange in color and Moxie embossed above the ACL. Mint bottle !!

Attachments

• 6b1053a729bf4638bf19724b457c6711.jpg
    6b1053a729bf4638bf19724b457c6711.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 84

bottlerocket

Reaction score
I have heard that some collectors collect milk bottles from small dairies. I understand there are 10s of thousands of manufactures of milk bottles for dairies. Is there a reference or business registry that lists the old dairies and what they produced? I have a few bottles from local dairies that I would be interested in finding out how large they were. They have long been out of business.

madman

Reaction score
i collect toledo oh and knoxville tn milks

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown