What do you collect for milks?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dcravosa

Reaction score
Red ---- Great of you to put in the original posting, and it's been terrific reading all of the stories/responses. This forum used to get much more traffic, which has slowed over the last few months (not sure why). Hope that the crowd can step up the talk. --- Dean

GEEMAN

Reaction score
I started picking up half pint milks from Wisconsin when I first started out. Being new to milks at the time, I had no idea just how many milks there are from Wisconsin. But being Americas dairy land I should have known there would be a PILE of them. LOL Anyhow, I now stick to locals (Fort Atkinson, Jefferson, WI) of any size. As with most small towns, milk bottles are pretty hard to come by and when you do run across one it's usually not cheap. As a kid in the 60s, we had family friends who ran a small dairy farm. Every time we went there we would have fresh milk served out of a mason jar they kept in the fridge. That stuff was the best. Bottom line for me is milks are just plain cool.

BellwoodBoys

Reaction score
I collect milk bottles from Belmar and Asbury Park NJ mostly, but there are some from the smaller surrounding towns that I collect too.

JohnDeereMoxie

Reaction score
Very nice guys. I like the mason jars GEEMAN must have been awesome. And yes milks are just plain old cool, I feel like they have some of the most artistic designs on whether it be pyro or embossed a lot of love went into old milk bottles that we don't see anymore.

GEEMAN

Reaction score
JDM , Yes, it was just the way things were back then on small family farms = make do with what you had on hand. That was the last time I ever had milk fresh like that. No pasteurization, no BGH or anything else artificial. That was job one every morning = fill a couple two three Mason jars with milk for the day. Things were different then. We had milk delivered to the door twice a week. You got a cut , rub some dirt on it and get back to business. Got thirsty ? Drink out of the garden hose. BB Gun fights, no bike helmets, most kids had pocket knives etc. A lot different from the PC Correct world we live in now. Anyhow, I like slug plate milks and beers the best. I appreciate the skill it took to engrave those plates and the bottle making process in general back then VS the plastic,cookie cutter,same old same old bottles we have today.

JohnDeereMoxie

Reaction score
GEEMAN said:
Anyhow, I like slug plate milks and beers the best. I appreciate the skill it took to engrave those plates and the bottle making process in general back then VS the plastic,cookie cutter,same old same old bottles we have today.

You make a great point about the engravings on slug plates. I never really thought of that. Imagine that, someone had to diligently work on engraving the plate before anything. Especially with all the different styles dairies out there, that is just awesome. So much love went into these works of art, people would complain if they had to do that nowadays and would want tons of money for it. Crazy.

PoisonBottleGuy

Reaction score
I check on ebay periodically, and I am really looking for a milk bottle or advertising for Dutra Dairy in Dixon, CA. It was my Grandma's dairy in the early 1900's through about the 1930's I believe. Would love to own a piece of our families history. Mike

JGUIS

Reaction score
I collect only Perry County Ohio bottles, but of any type. We only have a hand full of pyros, but there are plenty variations of slugs, and many of those are very hard to find. I search sales and auctions as well as dig and trade to find them, but digging seems to be my best chance at the rare ones.

cookie

Reaction score
Sam- Do you have a Braley's Creamery qt from Dartmouth ?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora