What has happened to the early glass posts?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

antlerman23

Reaction score
thanks man! its the oldest bottle I own by 40 years or so [:)]I am trying to sell it though, it just doesn't go with the collection

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Very nice early glass everyone...jeez... Only in dreans will i ever find anything like this.

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Bass Assassin said:
Very nice early glass everyone...jeez... Only in dreans will i ever find anything like this.

I'm the same, only in my dreams would I ever FIND anything like I sell. I have to buy and sell everything, and that is the unfortunate bit - having to sell even the very nice bits. BUT at least I CAN buy some of these things in knowing that I will get that money back, and I can therefore enjoy some amazing things for a few weeks atleast, and maybe longer....:) www.earlyglass.com

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Antlerman23 You indicated you want to sell your bottle shown above. I am interested = so let me know what you want for it. RED Matthews <bottlemysteries@yahoo.com>.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
This is to ask antlerman a question. From the picture IMG 1236; I have to assume that this is a turn molded bottle; because of the left angular mark under the finish. So are there no mold seams showing on the glass? If there are not any, I would like to borrow or buy the bottle, because I am trying to put together a blog on this bottle making maneuver. RED Matthews

sandchip

Reaction score
Looks like it was blown in a dip mold to me.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
So sandchip, If is a shaft and globe - I don't think they made them in a dip mold. I am not sure about that, because I haven't gotten a hold of one to study. I have done a lot of study of the three mold system where the bottom of the bottle was blown in a dip mold with two shoulder mold parts to be opened for the lift out. Some ot those were also turned in the mold, if there was no embossing. The interesting thing there is the fact that the dip mold bottom part casting could not be chilled in the casting process, so the glass in that area will have dense thickness patches - which is cold mold ripple from the excessive heat removal from the glass. Chilling the iron mold parts, creates a slower heat extraction in the iron, and creates a tighter iron casting that creates a more even glass thickness in the bottle glass material.RED M.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
That's a beauty! ill throw my own early early glass up. its what I believe to be a 1790-1810 very late mallet form. I know its early because of the crude lip and base. correct me if im wrong on the date, but I think I am pretty spot on (theres the german in me[:D]). it loses a lot of crudity in those pictures. It is actually really uneven and stuff

What a great lip on that black bottle, antlerman! Roger Dumbrell ("Understanding Antique Wine Bottles") would call that a "tall cylinder." I think your dating is about right.

Here's Dumbrell's schema for distinguishing mallets from cylinders, illustrated from my collection:
blackglasscylinders.jpg blackglassmallets.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi