What is a antique bottle before,and after 1900

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

K6TIM

Reaction score
Most bottles that are 100 years old is consirded an "antique bottle! So any early 20th. century is and antique.All pre-1900 bottles are certainly antique!The only exception are reproductions.

K6TIM

Reaction score
I'm not asking.,
'I'm telling you how old a real antique something that is a 100 years old!

DavidW

Reaction score
Yes, the strict definition of an "antique" is anything over 100 years old. But that is a subject debated among collectors in different fields of collecting. Some collectors want the definition of an antique to be changed to "anything over 50 years" or "anything over 80 years". I disagree with that, but everybody has their own opinion.

Many, many years ago, the dictionary-definition of the word "Antique" was usually applied to "upscale" older items over 100 years old that were considered "important" or "fancy" or "highly collectible" such as high quality wood furniture, tapestries, carpets, silver, art glass, art from truly talented artists including paintings and sculpture, etc.

There was a lot of SNOBBINESS in those days, and you can definitely see that snobbiness if you look at old issues of the MAGAZINE ANTIQUES that showed only what they considered to be antiques in the pages of the magazine. A few articles did discuss collecting bottles, but not many. Most collectors looked for stuff they felt was more "upper class".

But thank God I love looking for stuff that was used by the common, ordinary people of years gone by, and that includes most average bottles, jars and such!

Last edited:

Dogo

DOGO
Reaction score
When I started collecting, back in the stone age, "old" bottles were those that were hand finished and made before the automatic bottle machine was invented. Milk bottles and canning jars were separate categories. Anything can be collectible and there is no disgrace in what ever attracts your interest. An advanced bitters collector might look down on a milk bottle collector, but that just shows he is a snob and not worthy of our friendship.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eloc1