What is it that makes milk bottles so unpopular?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Lordbud

Reaction score
The other thing is that people tend to stick with local dairy bottles when they specialize and are just an addition to a general collector because they are local to them. Exactly! I collect milks from my own local area. There was a particular dump along a local creek that had a good number of 1930s milks from around the area. I've noticed a lot of action on ebay whenever a seller posts a pre-WWI vintage local milk (sun colored amethyst oftentimes). Local tin-tops from San Francisco go for more than I can afford. But many times there is little or no interest in local milks from the 1920s/1930s when they are offered on ebay. Most Western bottle collectors who are into Whiskeys, Bitters, Sodas also have collected some local milks on the side.

Packman28

Reaction score
Milk bottle collecting is popular in NC and VA but, as the others have said it's a local deal, not national.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
What happened to Waskey? I haven't seen an update on his "milk dump" in a while. He was pulling some nice MD stuff from that.

LC

Reaction score
I collected milks for some time a good many years ago . Looked for them from any state or area as long as they had nice graphics on them . No longer have them now but enjoyed them greatly the time I had them . Never did consider them unpopular , every one has their different interest as for collecting .

JohnDeereMoxie

Reaction score
Waskey has been on the Facebook page for Milk Bottle Collectors and the NAMBC FB page. Honestly I've been over there a lot too, just browsing. Haven't picked up anything worth posting lately. I did get a nice jag of free milks though last month. Some rare stuff at that. ALL FREE!!! WWOOOOO hahaha.

bottlerocket

Reaction score
I have always had a fascination with embossed Milks. I have several locals from different Dairies.I like mostly pints and half pints. The Quarts are cool but take up so much space.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Mil;k Bottles; I am currently working on the idea of putting together a blog on myMu fir homepage, dealing wit Milk bottle collecting. My first bottle collected was a milk bottle.And it was a bottle made at Thatcher's Elmira NY glass plant. My child life included entertaing my Dad regarding how things were made. When he woirked for the Morris Chain Co. - he would bring home pieces of metal scrap and ask me to tell him how it was made - laugh at my logical explanations and then tell me how it was done. When I asked him and my Grand Father how the milk bottle was made - my Grandfather made arrangements to take me to the Thatcher Glass factory in Elmira NY - where I got to see them being made on an old HMB Glass Machine,. I got to bring another milk bottle home. I still have that one also.About 33 years later I went to work for Thatcher Glass, in their Central Mold Division, as an applications engineer and a management assistant. At that time they were making a lot of Milk bottles, because the Milk Bottle was developed and patented by Doctor Thatcher, and they were making a lot of them. Later they also patented the cream top for milk bottles. I have an Italian repro of the original Thatcher bottle. I also have an original embossed example of that first cream top. Now I have a collection of other dairy product glass, sour cream, cream, cottage cheese and other glass product containers for the dairy business. It takes me for ever to get things like that completed - but it might be of interest to some collectors. RED Matthews

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
The globe to this "kerosene lamp" is a cream top, right? Where it separates milk from creme? I found it, broken, in a household dump on a hill side. I could read "It whips" on either side from where an old ACL was (I think it's 1940s) and so I broke off a long splinter and turned it into an kerosene lamp--rather oil candle, as it has no knob-- by using a vintage ink jar I found the year before in the lake, and the tine to a used tealight candle... cut a hole, bend it into shape, slide a wick through and use the tin to hold and and voila!
As for your job at Thatcher, pretty neat how you got introduced to milks and learned on them, then went to work there. Your dad sounds like he was a good man... a dad any kid could want, as he'd spend time with you and try to make you learn things; that shows he cares.
Hmmm... Image got squished. It isn't short and fat like that.

Attachments

• 36af1a47278644a994ac547bc3122a9d.jpg
    36af1a47278644a994ac547bc3122a9d.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 90

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky