What is it?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hi Ya'll. Are we talking a laxitive? This bottle is 9 1/4" tall and 2 1/2" square. The embossing reads on one side "The Cuticura System Of Curing Constitutional Humors" The other side reads "Potter Drug & Chemical Co. Boston Mass. U.S.A." I'm sure it's pretty common but I've never heard of Constitutional Humors. ANY info would be appreciated. Thanks, Kelley

Qo40487.jpg

Attachments

• Qo40487.jpg
    Qo40487.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 128

Saigonjoe

Reaction score
Well, a bodily humor is a secretion such as a hormone and is also a semifluid such as blood or lymph. Humors determine a person's health or temperment. Contitutional means relating to the makeup (of the body)So, constitutional humor is a joke they tell during sessions at the Capitol. Hope this helps.
Saigon Joe

Old but good joke deleted [:D] - it's a family forum Joe! - Admin

David E Dearden

Reaction score
Hi I have The Cuticura/System of curing/comsttutonal humers/originated by Weeks & Potter Boston. Company formed in 1832 to 1902. Weeks and Potter marketed other remedies and became Weeks & Potter Compamy. Cuticura was trademarketed in 1878.
There we other companies to produce Cuticura such as Sanford's Radical cure in 1879.
One bottle aqua 9 3/16" by 2 1/2" by 2 1/2".
David Dearden

Saigonjoe

Reaction score
[:eek:] My apologies for the (deleted) joke. Ill be more cautious in the future. I guess Admin cured my constitutional humor. I'm an old man with old jokes, forgive me.
Saigon Joe

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Joe is correct about the definition of "humor" in the biological sense -- it is any animal or plant fluid. That is definition number 8 in my dictionary.

Definition 9. is more germane here:
Old Physiology one of the four elemental fluids of the body, blood, phlegm, black bile, and yellow bile, regarded as determining, by their relative proportions, a person's physical and mental constitution.

This sound like a theory out of the Middle Ages, and probably is. My guess is "curing humors" is code-speak for "getting intoxicated" on the alcohol and/or laudanum in this "medicine."

----------Harry Pristis

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado