what is it?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I'm pretty certain that's an Ochosi Arrow. It's used in the religion of Santeria. Considering it was in the woods it's no surprise; in that religion Ochosi is a hunter and knows the woods well. Sometimes when things are used in Santeria rituals they are left in specific locations afterwards.
If you know...how are they used and what for. The OCHOSI BOW+ARROW.

Ice

Reaction score
It's symbolic. It's not really functional as any form of mechanism. Most stores/Botánicas that carry supplies for Santeria sell them, or similar versions of them. Often they are used on alters or in rituals or the such.
I guess you found yourself a bottle hunting charm. Although Ochosi is known for protection and justice, he is a hunter and I've heard that he aids in helping one find what they are seeking.

Just a small word of warning; if you find any bottles around the location where you found those, and there seems to be stuff put inside the bottle, but you really want the bottle, be sure to handle it and the disposal of the contents with care. Some practitioners of Santeria (and various religions similar to it) once in a while will use a few drops of liquid mercury in certain workings, and that isn't something you want to get all over yourself or your property.

Seriously...Ice, i found A large metal cauldron in the woods. I had to dig it out from under a root a tree had grown over it and was being swallowed By the earth. Inside was horse shoes railroad spikes, all kinds of nails, metal toy Hand tools, a tiny anvil and sledge hammer ,Machette, Shovel, rake,pick, hoe and this ochosi bow +arrow. All rusted. Any ideas what i did or found. It has been ther for i guess over 70 years. All iron items. Very heavy pot to carry into the middle of the woods. Very weird.
This definitely sounds like Santeria. Ogun is another Orisha who is associated with metal tools, nails, railroad spikes, etc. Ochosi and Eleggua are close friends with Ogun, so it's not uncommon their symbols be used together. If it was in the ground THAT long though Eleggua's "tools" might have decomposed.
It wouldn't be unheard of for someone to have purposely buried it all rather then it just being left out there and slowly being covered by nature... However if it's really old, the find might have some historical significance.
But there are still active Santeria groups around New Jersey.
Who are you? Nobody knew. I found two OCHOSI BOW AND ARROW. They were for protection? Left for who? Obviously not me. Hope i don't get cursed or something. I can see the headLines Now. Boy looks for bottles and gets cursed by unearthing sacred objects. Talk about an unforseen job hazzard.
I wouldn't worry too much, in that religion they are good guys.... and actually have various catholic saints as counterparts. You didn't go out there to cause problems to anyone else so I can't see it "provoking wrath" on you. If you want to get into the "spritual" side of things, maybe it was meant to be found? The thing I found sort of weird was I haven't posted in here in maybe 8 years or so, and I get an email from the forum (which I never got before), that linked me to this post, and I recognized that crossbow right away, I have an interest in various things, it's not the first time I'm seen one of those.

Last edited:

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Thank you Ice for the information. I found no bottle with the pot of iron. I did find a few keepers, so maybe it was the hunter that guided me to clean up the place and find what i was searching for. Thanks again, RobbyBobby64

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
The iron tools, some where hard to tell what they were, others like the shovel is solid and the sledge having a steel handle. The horse shoes half rusted thru. Railroad spikes heavy pitting. They were there a long time.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp