Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

What is Pepto-Mangan (Gude)?

LC

Mar 17, 2007
Ohio
Hello Rick, I have always considered the one I have to be a medicinal of some sort, not 100 per cent sure if that is what it is though.. I have had mine for a number of years, and I have seen quite a few of them over the years as well. I would think they would be like any other bottle though, the closer they are to where they came from, the more there is of them most likely. It is not a knock out bottle, but I like mine, that is why I have hung on to it all these years. I think yours is embossed a bit different from mine though. I have not seen mine for ages, as it is in a box somewhere, but I am thinking mine is embossed with something on the bottom as well. Will try and locate it and see.[/align]

capsoda

Nov 15, 2005
Seminole,Alabama, USA
It is a med. Pepto-Mangan was supposed to inrich your blood with iron but it was proven not to do anything. Quack med but not really dangerous. Gude is German for good.

RICKJJ59W

Mar 8, 2007
Lehigh Valley USA
Here is a pic of the bottom of the one I found in a 1870 pit thay are common in my (area), it says...... DR A Gude & Co. with an embossed heart in the middle, seems like Gude is a Doctor, cap says Gude is good in German, so DR good?

capsoda

Nov 15, 2005
Seminole,Alabama, USA
Nope not funnin. The piece I read from and old news paper on the internet says German buy I was thinking Dutch or Scandinavian. If you Goggle up Pepto-Manan you will gep alot of result.

LC

Mar 17, 2007
Ohio
Mine is embossed on the bottom like yours, never saw one of them that wasn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
connieran