What is the procedure to stop bruises and cracks ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
I’d like to know what the procedure is for preventing bruises and cracks from forming due to temperature change when taking a bottle out of the ground.

Last edited:

Timelypicken

Reaction score
Temperature changes I know can cause cracks. So maybe don’t clean bottle right away after getting from the ground and let them adjust to the new temperature

Venor_Thesaurus

Reaction score
Try digging from side and getting below the bottle. Also use a soft implement to dig with and go slow.

Digging by hand works too, but can have disastrous consequences, requiring immediate first aid!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
Haha sorry I worded it wrong. I was meaning cracks and bruises that form due to temperature change. Thanks for answering anyway.

embe

Reaction score
Thermal shock. Adjust temp gradually. Even then, any bruises or damage will probably show up over time

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
I had a beer bottle that I've had for a long time and I noticed it was full of dirt so I washed it out a couple of weeks ago. I had it setting out on our kitchen table for a few days and intended to take a nice photo of it since it was clean. I was setting in my easy chair and I heard a loud ping. I found that a huge crack appeared in the bottle. By the time it finished it went up from the base to the shoulder and then back down again. I will take a post a picture of it when I am back home.

Last edited:

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Treat it like a pet fish. It must adjust gradually to temp changes and must not be bumped around.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Treat it like a pet fish. It must adjust gradually to temp changes and must not be bumped around.
Still no guarantees. Glass will break. It is fragile by nature. Got to handle it with care and have leathery nerves for the day it happens to break and it will if you collect it long enough.

Last edited:

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
In the cold I put my bottles in one of my plastic coolers. I have two big old coleman ones. They keep the bottles from warming up too quickly. Keep them in the cooler when you bring them inside a warmer area to warm up slowly over night. They make great waterproof boxes to carry my stuff, has handels and lasts years. I cover the bottles with a towel to minimize the space inside and reduce the chance of thermal shock. Still nothing is perfect and I have had bottles crack for no reason at all.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Last edited:

nhpharm

Reaction score
There are certain bottles that are susceptible to this and over time you will get a sense of what bottles might do this. Typically I see thermal cracking in stuff that is post-1900, especially in clear and aqua sodas and beers (and sometimes other clear medicines and pharmacy bottles) that come out of the Texas soil still shiny. Often, if it is going to crack, it will crack someday regardless of the care you take with it, but you can minimize this certainly by protecting the bottles from warming quickly (it is warming that seems to cause it, not cooling). I wrap them in towels when transferring them from a cold spot to a warm spot and I make sure I wash them in room-temperature water.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94