What is this copper thing?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

carling

Reaction score
I've been asking around, but nobody seems to really know.

Some guesses have been a slop type bucket, a carrier for coal ash, and some type of urn. But researching any of those suggestions hasn't come up with anything that looks like this. I took it to a couple antique shops, but they didn't know, all they could say is that it is old.

There's not any kind of markings anywhere on it. It about 15.5 inches tall. The bottom section is weighted with possibly sand inside. On opposite sides of the base, it is bent inwards, almost as if it would have slid into something to secure it.

Anybody have an idea on what it is? I haven't tried to clean it. Not sure whether to leave it be or try to shine it up.

Rick

BACDC97582DD49A5BDC24598F2E4A0DB.jpg

Attachments

• BACDC97582DD49A5BDC24598F2E4A0DB.jpg
    BACDC97582DD49A5BDC24598F2E4A0DB.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 77

Cthulhu

Reaction score
My first guess would've been for coal ash, but maybe an Ice bucket? (maybe for champagne?) Definitely an odd shape.

Plumbata

Reaction score
The cap looks like Brass and the body looks copper, and from this perspective looks tall; when the cap is on does it get in the way of the handle? It may not be original, or otherwise the handle was more for looks than functionality. I like the idea of an ice bucket, or perhaps it was an urn for holding cremated human remains... Nice thought, eh? [8D]

carling

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help so far.

I googled the Indian dabba idea, but couldn't find any images that were close. As far as the other ideas, I've tried searching. Just can't find anything definitive.

The cap doesn't get in the way of the handle, its just the photos that make it appear as if it does. It's fully functional. The cap and bottom base may both be brass, not sure.

It was found in a basement with a dirt floor, in a large old house, hanging in the corner of one of the little rooms. Given that, the coal ash idea seemed most likely, but it isn't shaped like the ones you see on-line and it seems like they didn't have lids either.

Maybe an old coffee urn?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado