What todo

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Joshparshey

Reaction score
Clean or not to clean?

Attachments

• 20201227_163159.jpg
    20201227_163159.jpg
    837.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 20201227_163211.jpg
    20201227_163211.jpg
    843.5 KB · Views: 216

Mjbottle

Reaction score
Myself...i like to keep a couple bottles with heavy iridescence just as lets say..."show pieces" because it looks cool and people ask about it when they see it and usualy people are realy interested when you tell them how it happens, besides that, i like them clean, sometimes the glass is realy sick and i find it stinks on your hands if you handle the bottle, i guess it comes down to personal preference.
Cheers!

Glassaholic

Reaction score
Glad you posted this, I was wondering as well. All my bottles are from an old landfill and most look like that. I wasn't sure if I should try and clean them more, if it even comes off, or if people like the iridescence.

But if I did want to clean some of the nicer ones, what is the best for cleaning the iridescence off?
Thanks,
Jen

Last edited:

Nickneff

Reaction score
Clean or not to clean?
I would leave it alone myself I think it looks cool you dig a lot of bottles that looks like that but as far as cleaning it that's over a hundred years stain almost impossible to get out you have to use a very strong acid but then again you better be careful with very strong acid and if the bottles got root Mark in it where the roots is growing around the bottle you'll never get that out it's grown into the glass it always will have that look but to each his own boy seen all this glass on this site give me the fever bad makes you want to just jump up and run out the door and go dig something woo-wee

GRACE ABOUND

BIRD SWING
Reaction score
I would leave it alone myself I think it looks cool you dig a lot of bottles that looks like that but as far as cleaning it that's over a hundred years stain almost impossible to get out you have to use a very strong acid but then again you better be careful with very strong acid and if the bottles got root Mark in it where the roots is growing around the bottle you'll never get that out it's grown into the glass it always will have that look but to each his own boy seen all this glass on this site give me the fever bad makes you want to just jump up and run out the door and go dig something woo-wee
glad to see you out here helping us folks .

GRACE ABOUND

BIRD SWING
Reaction score
Thanks For All The Bottle Replies .Hope Its Not To Cold Up There . But I Know You Can Take It.

opmustard

Reaction score
In general, I have agree with others in this post. Its up to you. Have bottles that I wouldn't even consider cleaning them for all reasons mentioned.
However, I used to and still would tumble most of my bottles.
Its completely up to you.
opmustard

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger