What type of bottle is this?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CooperS02

Reaction score
I am new to bottle collecting and have been trying to figure out what type of bottle this is. Its about 11 inches in height and appears to have a blob top. I cant really tell if the bottom has a pontil but there appears to be possiable grinding and a small round circle. The thing that really confuses me is that there is no seam marks. The only marks i can find is some VERY faint horizontal marks. They mainly appear on the middle part of the bottle. If you can tell me what type, when it was made, or what it is worth that would be great!!! Much thanks!!!

Nl29578.jpg

Attachments

• Nl29578.jpg
    Nl29578.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 147

CooperS02

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the bottom

Yw68728.jpg

Attachments

• Yw68728.jpg
    Yw68728.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 138

CooperS02

Reaction score
Hope these pictures help!

Nl29181.jpg

Attachments

• Nl29181.jpg
    Nl29181.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 155

BottlesandMore

Reaction score
The bottle appears to be a later blob top beer. Probably from the late 1800' s or early 1900' s. My guess is that it was a labeled beer bottle.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
The no-seam and faint horizontal marks suggest that this is a turn-mold bottle. It is unusual for beer bottles to be made in this manner, I think. Much more common to find wine bottles turned in the mold. 1890s is a reasonable estimate of age.

The bottle does have a certain beery look, though the blob top looks a bit skimpy to hold to wired cork in place. That is not a typical neck for a beer bottle. The clear/aqua glass doesn' t tell us anything.

The size at 11" suggests a capacity of a fifth (of a gallon) up to a quart. The fifth is a wine measure, the quart is a more common measure for beer.

Why don' t you measure the capacity of this bottle and let us know what it is.
--------------Harry Pristis

CooperS02

Reaction score
I filled the bottle up with water and poured it out into a newer wine bottle, and it filled it up to where the wine would have came up. So its probably a wine bottle? Thanks for the help.

BottlesandMore

Reaction score
I must disagree with the notion that it was a wine. I have had numerous bottles identical to this over the years albeit in amber. They were all embossed and had a brewery name on them. The size is identical, the neck and shape. They were by some miscalled Picnic Beers, but I strongly feel that is what it was used for.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I don' t have any strong feelings about this bottle. I probably IS a beer bottle. I agree it is not a picnic beer. The bottle seems to have some characteristics which are anomalous -- in my limited experience. I do not collect beer bottles.
----------Harry Pristis

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown